Terms Used In California Codes > Health and Safety Code > Division 2 > Chapter 13 > Article 11
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 24937
- department: means State Department of Health Services. See California Education Code 24943
- Director: means "State Director of Health Services. See California Education Code 24944
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.