As used in this article, the following terms shall have the respective meanings hereafter set forth, unless the context shall otherwise require:
(a) An “affiliate” of, or person “affiliated” with, a specific person, is a person that directly, or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, or is controlled by, or is under common control with, the person specified.
Terms Used In California Insurance Code 1215
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Commissioner: means the Insurance Commissioner of this State. See California Education Code 25022.5
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any person, association, organization, partnership, business trust, limited liability company, or corporation. See California Education Code 25022
(b) “Business day” is any day other than Saturday, Sunday, and any other day that is specified or provided for as a holiday in the Government Code.
(c) The term “control” includes the terms “controlling,” “controlled by,” and “under common control with,” and means the possession, direct or indirect, of the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of a person, whether through the ownership of voting securities, by contract other than a commercial contract for goods or nonmanagement services, or otherwise, unless the power is the result of an official position with or corporate office held by the person. Control shall be presumed to exist if any person, directly or indirectly, owns, controls, holds with the power to vote, or holds proxies representing, more than 10 percent of the voting securities of any other person. This presumption may be rebutted by a showing that control does not exist in fact pursuant to the filing of a disclaimer of affiliation in accordance with subdivision (l) of Section 1215.4. The commissioner may, after furnishing all persons in interest notice and opportunity to be heard, determine that control exists in fact, notwithstanding the absence of a presumption to that effect.
(d) “Enterprise risk” means any activity, circumstance, or event or series of events involving one or more affiliates of an insurer that, if not remedied promptly, is likely to have a material adverse effect upon the financial condition or liquidity of the insurer or its insurance holding company system as a whole, including, but not limited to, anything that would cause the insurer’s risk-based capital to fall into company action level as set forth in Article 4.1 (commencing with Section 739) of Chapter 1 and under Section 739.5 or would cause the insurer to be in hazardous financial condition and allow the commissioner to take actions that are necessary under Article 14 (commencing with Section 1010), Article 14.3 (commencing with Section 1064.1), and Article 15.5 (commencing with Section 1077).
(e) An “insurance holding company system” consists of two or more affiliated persons, one or more of which is an insurer.
(f) “Insurer” shall have the same meaning as set forth in Section 826, excluding subdivisions (e) and (f) of that section.
(g) “Person” is an individual, a corporation, a limited liability company, a partnership, an association, a joint stock company, a business trust, an unincorporated organization, or any similar entity, or any combination thereof acting in concert.
(h) A “security holder” of a specified person is the holder that owns any security of that person, including common stock, preferred stock, debt obligations, and any other security convertible into or evidencing the right to acquire any of the foregoing.
(i) A “subsidiary” of a specified person is an affiliate controlled by that person directly, or indirectly through one or more intermediaries.
(j) “Voting security” shall include any security convertible into or evidencing a right to acquire a voting security.
(k) “Commissioner” means the Insurance Commissioner of the state and any assistant to the Insurance Commissioner designated and authorized by the commissioner while acting under his or her designation as the Insurance Commissioner.
(l) “Groupwide supervisor” means the insurance official authorized to engage in conducting and coordinating groupwide supervision activities who is determined or acknowledged by the commissioner pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 1215.75 to have sufficient significant contacts with the internationally active insurance group.
(m) “Internationally active insurance group” means an insurance holding company system that includes an insurer registered pursuant to Section 1215.4 and that meets the following criteria:
(1) Insurers that are part of the insurance holding company system write premiums in at least three countries.
(2) The percentage of gross premiums written outside the United States is at least 10 percent of the insurance holding company system’s total gross written premiums.
(3) Based on a three-year rolling average, the total assets of the insurance holding company system are at least fifty billion dollars ($50,000,000,000) or the total gross written premiums of the insurance holding company system are at least ten billion dollars ($10,000,000,000).
(n) “NAIC” means the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 213, Sec. 2. (AB 553) Effective August 17, 2015.)