Terms Used In California Codes > Penal Code > Part 6 > Title 4 > Division 10 > Chapter 5 > Article 1
- ammunition: includes , but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 41133
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- board: means the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. See California Education Code 5301
- Case law: The law as laid down in cases that have been decided in the decisions of the courts.
- City: includes "city and county" and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 19429
- Costs: as used in this article , means direct costs only in the administration and enforcement of this division at places other than places operated by retail merchants, as that term is described in Section 56161. See California Penal Code 32405
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 19958
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- knowingly: import s only a knowledge that the facts exist which bring the act or omission within the provisions of this code. See California Education Code 1012
- large-capacity magazine: means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
California Revenue and Taxation Code 43155
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See California Education Code 1012
- Person: means any individual, partnership, association, corporation, limited liability company, or any organized group of persons whether incorporated or not. See California Education Code 19963
- Person: includes any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, limited liability company, business trust, corporation, or company. See California Education Code 19426
- prisoner: includes an inmate of a prison, jail, or penal or correctional facility. See California Penal Code 32310
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the district and territories. See California Education Code 1012
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 19427