(a) The board may, by notice of levy served personally or by first-class mail, require all persons having in their possession, or under their control, any payments, credits other than payments, or other personal property belonging to a distributor, dealer, or other person liable for any amount under this part to withhold from these credits or other personal property the amount of any tax, interest, or penalties due from the distributor, dealer, or other person, or the amount of any liability incurred by them under this part, and to transmit the amount withheld to the board at the time it may designate. The notice of levy shall have the same effect as a levy pursuant to a writ of execution except for the continuing effect of the levy, as provided in subdivision (b).
(b) The person served shall continue to withhold pursuant to the notice of levy until the amount specified in the notice, including accrued interest, has been paid in full, until the notice is withdrawn, or until one year from the date the notice is received, whichever occurs first.
(c) The amount required to be withheld is the lesser of the following:
(1) The amount due stated on the notice.
(2) The sum of both of the following:
(A) The amount of the payments, credits other than payments, or personal property described above and under the person’s possession or control when the notice of levy is served on the person.
(B) The amount of each payment that becomes due following service of the notice of levy on the person and prior to the expiration of the levy.
(d) For the purposes of this section, the term “payments” does not include earnings as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 706.011 of the Code of Civil Procedure or funds in a deposit account as defined in paragraph (29) of subdivision (a) of Section 9102 of the Commercial Code. The term “payments” does include any of the following:
(1) Payments due for services of independent contractors, dividends, rents, royalties, residuals, patent rights, or mineral or other natural rights.
(2) Payments or credits due or becoming due periodically as a result of an enforceable obligation to the distributor, dealer, or other person liable for the tax.
(3) Any other payments or credits due or becoming due the distributor, dealer, or other person liable as the result of written or oral contracts for services or sales whether denominated as wages, salary, commission, bonus, or otherwise.
(e) In the case of a financial institution, to be effective, the notice shall state the amount due from the taxpayer and shall be delivered or mailed to the branch or office of the financial institution where the credits or other property is held, unless another branch or office is designated by the financial institution to receive the notice.
(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 991, Sec. 62. Effective January 1, 2000. Operative July 1, 2001, by Sec. 75 of Ch. 991.)