As used in this section and sections 14-12, 16-19fff, 16-19ggg, 16a-3e and 43-3a:
(1) “Battery electric vehicle” means any vehicle that operates solely by use of a battery or battery pack, or that is powered primarily through the use of an electric battery or battery pack and uses a flywheel or capacitor that stores energy produced by an electric motor or through regenerative braking to assist in vehicle operation;
(2) “Electric vehicle” means any battery electric vehicle, fuel cell electric vehicle, plug-in hybrid electric vehicle or range-extended battery electric vehicle;
(3) “Fuel cell electric vehicle” means any vehicle that operates solely by use of a fuel cell, as defined in subparagraph (B)(i) of subdivision (113) of § 12-412;
(4) “Hybrid electric vehicle” means a motor vehicle that allows power to be delivered to the driver wheels solely by a battery-powered electric motor that also incorporates the use of a combustion engine to provide power to the battery, or any vehicle that allows power to be delivered to the driver wheels by either a combustion engine or by a battery-powered electric motor, or both;
(5) “Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle” means a hybrid electric vehicle that has the capability to charge the battery or batteries used for vehicle propulsion from an off-vehicle electric source, such that the off-vehicle source cannot be connected to the vehicle while the vehicle is in motion; and
(6) “Range-extended battery electric vehicle” means a vehicle (A) powered predominantly by a zero-emission energy storage device, (B) with a manufacturer rating of more than seventy-five all-electric miles, and (C) equipped with a backup auxiliary power unit that does not operate until the energy storage device is fully depleted.