Before any such public service company makes any such application, it shall file with the Secretary of the State a bond, with surety, in form and amount satisfactory to and approved by him, to save harmless any person or corporation which may be injured by the negligent carrying on of such work, which bond may be a continuing bond to cover all of such work conducted by such public service company in this state during the term of such bond, but said Secretary may dispense with the filing of any such bond upon the furnishing to him of satisfactory proof of the solvency and the financial ability of such public service company to pay any damages resulting from such negligent carrying on of such work, and said Secretary shall issue to such company his certificate that such bond has been filed or proof of solvency furnished. No such bond or further proof of solvency and financial ability shall be required by the Secretary of the State, or by any other authority, of any such public service company which has, within the preceding twelve months, filed with the Secretary of the State a certification, attested by the secretary of such company, that the combined paid-in capital and surplus of such company is not less than five hundred thousand dollars.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 16-230
- Authority: means the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority and "department" means the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Person: means an individual, business, firm, corporation, association, joint stock association, trust, partnership or limited liability company. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1
- Public service company: includes electric distribution, gas, telephone, pipeline, sewage, water and community antenna television companies and holders of a certificate of cable franchise authority, owning, leasing, maintaining, operating, managing or controlling plants or parts of plants or equipment, but shall not include towns, cities, boroughs, any municipal corporation or department thereof, whether separately incorporated or not, a private power producer, as defined in section 16-243b, or an exempt wholesale generator, as defined in 15 USC 79z-5a. See Connecticut General Statutes 16-1