No nonpublic college shall continue to conduct or begin to conduct any diploma program as defined in s. 1005.02, unless the college applies for and obtains approval for such program. Colleges under the jurisdiction of the Commission for Independent Education shall apply to the commission. Colleges that are not under the jurisdiction of the commission shall apply to the Department of Education.