(1) COMPOSITION.–The Dairy Industry Technical Council is created within the department and shall be composed of seven members as follows:
(a) Two citizens of the state, one of whom shall be associated with the Agricultural Extension Service of the University of Florida and the other with the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences of the University of Florida.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 502.301
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Florida Statutes 620.8703
- Milk: means the lacteal secretion, practically free from colostrum, obtained by the complete milking of one or more healthy cows, goats, sheep, water buffalo, or other hooved mammals. See Florida Statutes 620.8703
- Milk distributor: means any person who offers for sale or sells to another person any milk or milk product. See Florida Statutes 620.8703
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
(b) An employee of the Department of Health.
(c) Two dairy farmers who are actively engaged in the production of milk in this state and who earn a major portion of their income from the production of milk. The commissioner shall appoint the two members from no fewer than four nor more than six nominees submitted by the recognized statewide organizations representing this group. In the absence of nominations, the commissioner shall appoint other persons qualified under this paragraph.
(d) Two distributors of milk. “Distributor” means a milk dealer who operates a milk gathering station or processing plant where milk is collected and bottled or otherwise processed and prepared for sale. The commissioner shall appoint the two members from no fewer than four nor more than six nominees submitted by the recognized statewide organizations representing this group. In the absence of nominations, the commissioner shall appoint other persons qualified under this paragraph.
(e) All members shall serve 4-year terms or until their successors are duly qualified and appointed. If a vacancy occurs, it shall be filled for the remainder of the term in the manner of an initial appointment.
(2) POWERS AND DUTIES; MEETINGS; PROCEDURES; RECORDS.–The meetings, powers and duties, procedures, and recordkeeping of the Dairy Industry Technical Council shall be pursuant to s. 570.232.