[ 340B-4] Board of certification. (a) A state board of certification of nine members shall be appointed by the governor to carry out this chapter. The board shall be placed, for administrative purposes, in the department of health. The board shall consist of the following:
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes 340B-4
- Board: means the board of certification established by section 340B-4. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 340B-1
- county: includes the city and county of Honolulu. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 1-22
- Director: means the director of health. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 340B-1
- Operator: means any individual who operates a wastewater treatment plant, or a major segment of a wastewater treatment plant. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 340B-1
- Supervisor: means , where shift operation is not required, any individual who has direct responsibility for the operation of a wastewater treatment plant or who supervises operators of such a plant. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 340B-1
- Wastewater treatment plant: means the various facilities used in the treatment of wastewater, including a wastewater reclamation plant, but excluding a private sewage treatment plant with actual flows greater than 2. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 340B-1
(1) Four individuals who shall be employed in a wastewater treatment plant either as a certified operator or certified supervisor of a wastewater treatment plant. Three of the individuals must be employed in the outer island counties; one individual from the county of Hawaii, one from the county of Kauai, and one from the county of Maui.
(2) One individual who is an active member of the Hawaii water pollution control association.
(3) One individual who is a professional engineer in private practice, preferably specializing in sanitary engineering.
(4) One individual who is a member of the engineering (environmental or sanitary) faculty of a university or college in the State.
(5) One individual from the state agency responsible for the State’s water quality program.
(6) One individual from the private sector interested in the field of water pollution control.
(b) The foregoing members shall serve for four-year terms except that of the initial appointments, one shall be for one year, two shall be for two years, two shall be for three years, and four shall be for four years.
(c) The members of the board shall meet for an organizational meeting at the call of the director, within forty-five days of their appointment and thereafter at least twice a year at such time and place as may be provided by rules and regulations adopted by them. The members of the board shall annually elect one of the board members to serve as chairperson. Additional meetings may be called by the chairperson as deemed necessary. Notice of such meeting shall be given all members in writing at least ten days prior to the date of the meeting.
(d) The governor shall fill any vacancy in the board and may remove any member for cause.
(e) Board members shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.