[ 481E-11] Student-athlete‘s right to cancel. (a) A student-athlete may cancel an agency contract by giving notice of the cancellation to the athlete agent in a record within fourteen days after the contract is signed.
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-11
- Agency contract: means an agreement in which a student-athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit on behalf of the student-athlete a professional-sports-services contract or an endorsement contract. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Athlete agent: means an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student-athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student-athlete to enter into an agency contract. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Student-athlete: means an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in, or may be eligible in the future to engage in, any intercollegiate sport. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
(b) A student-athlete may not waive the right to cancel an agency contract.
(c) If a student-athlete cancels an agency contract, the student-athlete is not required to pay any consideration under the contract or to return any consideration received from the athlete agent to induce the student-athlete to enter into the contract.