[ 481E-13] Prohibited conduct. (a) An athlete agent, with the intent to induce a student-athlete to enter into an agency contract, may not:
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-13
- Agency contract: means an agreement in which a student-athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit on behalf of the student-athlete a professional-sports-services contract or an endorsement contract. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Athlete agent: means an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student-athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student-athlete to enter into an agency contract. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Contact: means a communication, direct or indirect, between an athlete agent and a student-athlete, to recruit or solicit the student-athlete to enter into an agency contract. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Registration: means registration as an athlete agent pursuant to this chapter. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
- Student-athlete: means an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in, or may be eligible in the future to engage in, any intercollegiate sport. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 481E-1
(1) Give any materially false or misleading information or make a materially false promise or representation;
(2) Furnish anything of value to a student-athlete before the student-athlete enters into the agency contract; or
(3) Furnish anything of value to any individual other than the student-athlete or another registered athlete agent.
(b) An athlete agent may not intentionally:
(1) Initiate contact with a student-athlete unless registered under this chapter;
(2) Refuse or fail to retain or permit inspection of the records required to be retained by section 481E-12;
(3) Fail to register when required by section 481E-3;
(4) Provide materially false or misleading information in an application for registration or renewal of registration;
(5) Predate or postdate an agency contract; or
(6) Fail to notify a student-athlete before the student-athlete signs or otherwise authenticates an agency contract for a particular sport that the signing or authentication may make the student-athlete ineligible to participate as a student-athlete in that sport.