[ 527‑9] Requirements. A transfer on death deed:
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes 527-9
- Beneficiary: means a person that receives property under a transfer on death deed. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 527-2
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Inter vivos: Transfer of property from one living person to another living person.
- Transferor: means an individual who executes a transfer on death deed. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 527-2
(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), shall contain the essential elements and formalities of a properly recordable inter vivos deed;
(2) Shall state that the transfer to the beneficiary is to occur at the transferor‘s death; and
(3) Shall be recorded with the bureau of conveyances or filed in the office of the assistant registrar of the land court, as applicable, before the transferor’s death.