|Part I||General Provisions||150-1|
|Part II||Regulation of Sale of Seeds||150-21 – 150-31|
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 150
- Advertisement: means all representations, other than those on the label, disseminated in any manner or by any means, relating to seed within the scope of this chapter. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Agricultural seed: includes the seed of grass, forage, cereal, and fiber crops and other kinds of seed commonly recognized within the State as agricultural seed and mixtures of these seed. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Aviation fuel: means all liquid substances of whatever chemical composition usable for the propulsion of airplanes. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Barrel: means forty-two United States gallons of crude oil or petroleum product. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Bonds: means bonds, notes, and other instruments of indebtedness. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 47-1
- calendar month: means each full month of the calendar year; provided that whenever the books of any distributor in any county are kept on such a basis that its monthly records are made up on a basis other than a calendar month so that each business month of the distributor ends on some other day than the last day of the calendar month, and the distributor presents a sworn application to the department of taxation setting forth such facts and requesting that it be granted the privilege of making returns and paying the taxes and performing other duties required of it under this chapter upon the basis of such business month rather than a calendar month, the department shall in writing grant such privilege and thereupon, as to such distributor, the terms "month" or "calendar month" shall be deemed to mean and refer to such business month, and all returns and payments under this chapter shall be made upon the basis of such business month and all delinquencies and penalties shall attach and be calculated as of the last day of such business month. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Capital: means :
(1) The aggregate par value or other amount received and allocated to the issued and outstanding capital stock of a financial institution; or
(2) The total amount of a credit union's outstanding and unimpaired membership shares or share accounts. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Capital stock: means the units of interest, whether or not having a par value, common or preferred, legally issued by a financial institution or other corporation, which represents a fractional ownership interest in the institution or corporation. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of financial institutions of this State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Company: means any corporation, partnership, trust (business or otherwise), association, joint venture, pool syndicate, unincorporated organization, or any form of business entity not specifically listed herein and, unless specifically excluded, a financial institution; provided that "company" does not mean any trust existing on July 1, 1993, which under its terms must terminate within twenty-five years, or not later than twenty-one years and ten months after the death of individuals living on the effective date of the trust. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- County: means the counties of Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui and the city and county of Honolulu. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 47-1
- Customer: means a consumer who has a customer relationship with a licensee. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Customer relationship: means a continuing relationship between a consumer and a licensee under which the licensee provides one or more insurance products or services to the consumer that are to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Department: means the Hawaii department of agriculture. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- deposits: means money or its equivalent received or held by a person in the usual course of business and for which it has given or is obligated to give credit, either conditionally or unconditionally, to a demand, checking, savings, time, passbook, negotiable order of withdrawal, thrift, or share account, or which is evidenced by its passbook, certificate of deposit, thrift certificate, investment certificate, certificate of indebtedness, or other similar instrument, or a check, draft, or share draft drawn against a deposit account and certified by a person, on which the person is primarily liable. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Director: means the director of finance of the State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Director of finance: means the director of finance of each county. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 47-1
- Distributor: means :
(1) Every person who refines, manufactures, produces, or compounds liquid fuel or fossil fuel in the State and sells or uses the same therein;
(2) Every person who imports or causes to be imported into the State any liquid fuel or fossil fuel and sells it therein, whether in the original packages or containers in which it is imported or otherwise than in the original packages or containers, or who imports any liquid fuel or fossil fuel for the person's own use in the State;
(3) Every person who acquires liquid fuel or fossil fuel from a person not a licensed distributor and sells or uses it, whether in the original package or container in which it was imported (if imported) or otherwise than in the original package or container; and
(4) Every person who acquires liquid fuel or fossil fuel from a licensed distributor as a wholesaler thereof and sells or uses it. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- End user: means any person or government entity who acquires petroleum products for their own use and not for resale. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Federal: means belonging to, part of, or related to the government of the United States of America. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal financial institution: means a national banking association, federal savings bank, federal savings and loan association or federal credit union. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Federal Home Loan Bank: means a federal home loan bank created and organized under the authority of the Federal Home Loan Bank Act. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Financial institution: means a Hawaii financial institution, and unless the context indicates otherwise, a federal financial institution or foreign financial institution. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Financial institution: means any institution in the business of engaging in activities that are financial in nature or incidental to financial activities as described in the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956, Title 12 United States Code section 1843(k), as amended. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Fixed Rate: Having a "fixed" rate means that the APR doesn't change based on fluctuations of some external rate (such as the "Prime Rate"). In other words, a fixed rate is a rate that is not a variable rate. A fixed APR can change over time, in several circumstances:
- You are late making a payment or commit some other default, triggering an increase to a penalty rate
- The bank changes the terms of your account and you do not reject the change.
- The rate expires (if the rate was fixed for only a certain period of time).
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- fuel: means all liquids ordinarily, practically, and commercially usable in internal combustion engines for the generation of power and includes liquefied petroleum gases, all distillates of and condensates from petroleum, natural gas, coal, coal tar, and vegetable ferments, such distillates and condensates being ordinarily designated as a gasoline, naphtha, benzol, benzine, and alcohols so usable but not restricted to such designation. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Governing body: means the council of each county, or any other body exercising the legislative powers of the county. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 47-1
- Insurance product or service: includes a licensee's evaluation, brokerage, or distribution of information that the licensee collects in connection with a request or an application from a consumer for an insurance product or service. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Kind: means one or more related species or subspecies which singly or collectively is known by one common name, for example, corn, barley, lettuce, and alfalfa. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- labeling: includes all written, printed, or graphic representations in any form whatsoever, accompanying or pertaining to any seed, whether in bulk or in containers, and includes representations on invoices. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Licensee: includes an unauthorized insurer that accepts business placed through a licensed surplus lines broker in this State, but only in regard to the surplus lines placements under article 8, chapter 431. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Loans and extensions of credit: includes a contractual commitment to advance funds. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Lot: means a definite quantity of seed identified by a number or other identification, every portion or bag of which is uniform, within permitted tolerances, for the factors which appear in the labeling. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- month: means a calendar month; and the word "year" a calendar year. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 1-20
- Nonaffiliated third party: includes any company that is an affiliate solely by virtue of the direct or indirect ownership or control of the company by the licensee or its affiliate in conducting merchant banking or investment banking activities of the type described in section 4(k)(4)(H) of the federal Bank Holding Company Act, Title 12 United States Code section 1843(k)(4)(H), as amended, or insurance company investment activities of the type described in the federal Bank Holding Company Act, Title 12 United States Code section 1843(k)(4)(H) and (I). See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Nonpublic personal financial information: means :
(1) Personally identifiable financial information; and
(2) Any list, description, or other grouping of consumers and publicly available information pertaining to them, that is derived using any personally identifiable financial information that is not publicly available. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Noxious weed seed: means the seed of plant species designated by the department by rule as being highly destructive and difficult to control or eradicate in the State by ordinary, good cultural practices, herbicides, and other control measures, or is, or which may be likely to become injurious, harmful, or deleterious to the agricultural, horticultural, aquacultural, or livestock industry of the State and to forest and recreational areas and conservation districts of the State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Opt out: means a direction by a consumer that a licensee not disclose nonpublic financial information about that consumer to a nonaffiliated third party, other than as permitted by part IV of this article. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Person: includes any individual, partnership, corporation, company, society, or association. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Person: means a natural person, entity or organization, including without limitation an individual, corporation, joint venture, partnership, sole proprietorship, association, cooperative, estate, trust, or governmental unit. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Petroleum product: means any liquid hydrocarbon at standard temperature and pressure that is the product of the fractionalization, distillation, or other refining or processing of crude oil. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- Producer: means a person required to be licensed under the laws of this State to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 431:3A-102
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Retail dealer: means a person who purchases liquid fuel from a licensed distributor and sells the liquid fuel at retail. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 243-1
- ridesharing arrangement: means the transportation of persons in a motor vehicle where that transportation is incidental to another purpose of the driver. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 279G-1
- State: means the State of Hawaii. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Stop-sale order: means any written or printed notice or order given or issued by the department restraining the sale of agricultural and vegetable seed. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- this State: means the State of Hawaii, its political subdivisions, agencies, and departments. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 412:1-109
- Variety: means a subdivision of a kind characterized by growth, plant, fruit, seed, or other characters by which it can be differentiated from other plants of the same kind. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Vegetable seed: includes the seed of those crops which are grown in gardens and on truck farms and are generally known and sold under the name of vegetable seed in the State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Vendor: means any person engaged in selling or offering for sale agricultural or vegetable seed for planting purposes. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21
- Voter service center: means a location within the county of the voter's registration address established pursuant to section 11-109 to serve all of the following purposes:
(1) Receive return envelopes for absentee ballots pursuant to chapter 15;
(2) Receive return identification envelopes in an election by mail conducted pursuant to part VIIA;
(3) Provide voting machine services for persons with disabilities pursuant to the Help America Vote Act of 2002, P. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 11-1
- Weed seed: includes noxious weed seed and the seed of all plants generally recognized as weeds within the State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 150-21