Whenever used in this chapter:
(1) “Claimant” means an employee who filed a wage claim with the department in accordance with this chapter and as the director may prescribe.
(2) “Department” means the department of labor.
(3) “Director” means the director of the department of labor.
(4) “Employee” means any person suffered or permitted to work by an employer.
(5) “Employer” means any individual, partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, corporation, the administrator or executor of the estate of a deceased individual, or the receiver, trustee, or successor of any of the same, employing any person.
(6) “Wage claim” means an employee’s claim against an employer for compensation for the employee’s own personal services, and includes any wages, penalties, or damages provided by law to employees with a claim for unpaid wages.
(7) “Wages” means compensation for labor or services rendered by an employee, whether the amount is determined on a time, task, piece or commission basis.