|§ 18c-1701||Violations Defined|
|§ 18c-1702||Responsibility for Enforcement|
|§ 18c-1703||Investigations and Arrests|
|§ 18c-1705||Expedited Enforcement Procedures|
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > 625 ILCS 5 > Chapter 18c > Sub-Chapter 1 > Article VII
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Broker: means any person other than a motor carrier of property, that arranges, offers to arrange, or holds itself out, by solicitation, advertisement, or otherwise, as arranging or offering to arrange for-hire transportation of property or other service in connection therewith by a motor carrier of property which holds or is required to hold a license issued by the Commission. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Carrier: means any motor carrier or rail carrier other than a private carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Commission: means the Illinois Commerce Commission. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Commission regulations and orders: means rules and regulations adopted and orders or decisions issued by the Commission pursuant to this Chapter; any certificate, permit, broker's license or other license or registration issued pursuant to such rules, regulations, orders and decisions; and all terms, conditions, or limitations thereof. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- License: means any certificate, permit, broker's license, or other license issued under this Chapter. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Motor carrier: means any person engaged in the transportation of property or passengers, or both, for hire, over the public roads of this State, by motor vehicle. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle, truck, trucktractor, trailer or semitrailer propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used upon the highways of the State in the transportation of property or passengers. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Notice: means with regard to all proceedings except enforcement proceedings instituted on the motion of the Commission, and except for interstate motor carrier registrations, public notice by publication in the official state newspaper, unless otherwise provided in this Chapter. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Party: means any person admitted as a party to a Commission proceeding or seeking and entitled as a matter of right to admission as a party to a Commission proceeding. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Permit: means a permit issued under this Chapter to contract carriers of property by motor vehicle. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Person: means any natural person or legal entity, whether such entity is a proprietorship, partnership, corporation, association, or other entity, and, where a provision concerns the acts or omissions of a person, includes the partners, officers, employees, and agents of the person, as well as any trustees, assignees, receivers, or personal representatives of the person. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Rail carrier: means any person engaged in the transportation of property or passengers for hire by railroad, together with all employees or agents of such person or entity, and all property used, controlled, or owned by such person or entity. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Registration: means a registration issued to an interstate carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: when applied to different parts of the United States, may be construed to include the District of Columbia and the several territories, and the words "United States" may be construed to include the said district and territories. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.14
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Transportation: means the actual movement of property or passengers by motor vehicle (without regard to ownership of vehicles or equipment used in providing transportation service) or rail together with loading, unloading, and any other accessorial or ancillary service provided by the carrier in connection with movement by motor vehicle or rail, which is performed by or on behalf of the carriers, its employees or agents, or under the authority or direction of the carrier or under the apparent authority or direction and with the knowledge of the carrier. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5/18c-1104
- Units of local government: has the meaning established in Section 1 of Article VII of the Constitution of the State of Illinois of 1970. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.28
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.