(1) Fishing, hunting, trapping, or other conduct authorized under IC 14-22.
(2) Conduct authorized under IC 15-20-2.
(3) Veterinary practices authorized by standards adopted under IC 25-38.1-2-14.
(4) Conduct authorized by a local ordinance.
(5) Acceptable farm management practices.
(6) Conduct authorized by IC 15-17, and rules adopted under IC 15-17 for state or federally inspected livestock slaughtering facilities and state or federal animal disease control programs.
(7) A research facility registered with the United States Department of Agriculture under the federal Animal Welfare Act (7 U.S.C. 2131 et seq.).
(8) Destruction of a vertebrate defined as a pest under
(9) Destruction of or injury to a fish.
(10) Destruction of a vertebrate animal that is:
(A) endangering, harassing, or threatening livestock or a domestic animal; or
(B) destroying or damaging a person’s property.
(11) Destruction of an animal by an animal control program, including an animal control facility, an animal shelter, or a humane society.
(12) Destruction of an injured or ill animal by an individual to prevent the animal from prolonged suffering.
(13) Conduct not resulting in serious injury or illness to the animal that is incidental to exhibiting an animal for show, competition, or display, or that is incidental to transporting the animal for show, competition, or display.
(14) Parking an animal.
(15) Humane destruction of an animal that the person owns.
(b) Section 1 of this chapter applies to conduct described in subsection (a).
(c) Destruction of an animal by electrocution is authorized under this section only if it is conducted by a person who is engaged in an acceptable farm management practice, by a research facility registered with the United States Department of Agriculture under the Animal Welfare Act, or for the animal disease diagnostic laboratory established under IC 21-46-3-1, a research facility licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture, a college, or a university.
As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.8. Amended by P.L.2-1993, SEC.188; P.L.1-1995, SEC.76; P.L.137-1996, SEC.74; P.L.41-1998, SEC.1; P.L.2-2007, SEC.378; P.L.171-2007, SEC.6; P.L.2-2008, SEC.79; P.L.111-2009, SEC.11.