Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, “motor vehicle” has the meaning set forth in IC 9-13-2-105(a).
Terms Used In Indiana Code 35-43-4-2.5
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- receiving: means acquiring possession or control of or title to property, or lending on the security of property. See Indiana Code 35-43-4-1
(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over the motor vehicle of another person, with intent to deprive the owner of:
(1) the vehicle’s value or use; or
(2) a component part (as defined in IC 9-13-2-34) of the vehicle;
commits auto theft, a Level 6 felony.
(c) A person who knowingly or intentionally receives, retains, or disposes of a motor vehicle or any part of a motor vehicle of another person that has been the subject of theft commits receiving stolen auto parts, a Level 6 felony. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony if the person has a prior conviction under this subsection or under subsection (b).
As added by P.L.321-1985, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.136-1987, SEC.6; P.L.2-1991, SEC.106; P.L.158-2013, SEC.465; P.L.168-2014, SEC.77; P.L.252-2017, SEC.14.