A person who has been sentenced to life imprisonment under section 902.1 may, no more frequently than once every ten years, make an application to the governor requesting that the person’s sentence be commuted to a term of years.  The director of the Iowa department of corrections may make a request to the governor that a person’s sentence be commuted to a term of years at any time.  Upon receipt of a request for commutation, the governor shall send a copy of the request to the Iowa board of parole for investigation and recommendations as to whether the person should be considered for commutation. The board shall conduct an interview of the class “A” felon and shall make a report of its findings and recommendations to the governor.