(a) No geologic investigation to determine the suitability of any location in this state for the disposal of radioactive hazardous waste materials shall be undertaken by any person, firm, corporation or other association of persons or governmental authority, until the governor and the house of representatives and the senate of the Kansas legislature have first been notified of all the details of such proposed investigation.
(b) In order to provide for the proper care and surveillance of facilities subject to this act, the state of Kansas may acquire by gift or transfer from any person or another government agency, any and all lands, buildings, and grounds necessary to fulfill the purposes of this act, except that, with respect to any commercial radioactive waste disposal or storage facility, the state of Kansas shall acquire the lands comprising the physical site of the facility or such lands shall be owned by the federal government. Any and all lands, buildings, and grounds acquired under this section shall be owned in fee title absolute by the state of Kansas. Any such gift, acquisition or transfer is subject to approval and acceptance by the legislature.
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 65-3449
- Closure: means the permanent cessation of active disposal operations, abandonment of the disposal area, revocation of the permit or filling with waste of all areas and volume specified in the permit and preparing the area for the long-term care. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Disposal: means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking or placing of any solid waste into or on any land or water so that such solid waste or any constituent thereof may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any water. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Monitoring: means all procedures used to (1) systematically inspect and collect data on the operational parameters of a facility, an area or a transporter, or (2) to systematically collect and analyze data on the quality of the air, groundwater, surface water or soils on or in the vicinity of a solid waste processing facility or solid waste disposal area. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
- Person: means individual, partnership, firm, trust, company, association, corporation, individual or individuals having controlling or majority interest in a corporation, institution, political subdivision, state agency or federal department or agency. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
- Secretary: means the secretary of health and environment. See Kansas Statutes 65-3402
- Site: means all areas and media to which environmental contamination or pollution has been released, transported or migrated. See Kansas Statutes 65-34,178
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
(c) The secretary may lease, license or contract with any person to provide for the operation, closure, monitoring or maintenance of any lands, buildings or ground acquired by the state of Kansas under subsection (b) of this section.