(a) The board of education of any school district may enter into contracts with:
(1) The governing authority of any nonpublic school or any child-care institution for the provision of meals for children in attendance at such nonpublic school or child-care institution;
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 72-17,146
- Board: means the board of education of a school district and the governing authority of any nonpublic school offering any of grades kindergarten to 12 in approved schools. See Kansas Statutes 72-17,132
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Food service programs: means the programs included in the state plan of child nutrition operations under which federal funds and commodities are received pursuant to federal acts relating to child nutrition including the national school lunch act, as amended, and the child nutrition act of 1966, as amended. See Kansas Statutes 72-17,132
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State board: means the state board of education. See Kansas Statutes 72-17,132
(2) the governing body of any municipality for the provision of meals to persons for whom the municipality is responsible for providing meals;
(3) subject to the provisions of K.S.A. 72-17,147, and amendments thereto, any state educational institution or corporation whose operations are substantially controlled by a state educational institution for the provision of meals for students, alumni and other members of the public in attendance at functions or activities of the state educational institution; and
(4) any nonprofit organization for the provision of food services for the elderly, sick, homeless or other vulnerable persons.
(b) Any contract entered into by a board of education pursuant to the provisions of this section shall provide for payment to the district. Such payment shall not be less than the cost incurred by the school district. Moneys received by a school district under any such contract shall be deposited in the food service fund of the district and may be expended whether budgeted or not.
(c) The provisions contained in article 17 of chapter 72 of Kansas Statutes Annotated, except the provisions contained in K.S.A. 72-17,137 and 72-17,138, and amendments thereto, shall apply to meals provided by the board of education of a school district under any contract entered into pursuant to the provisions of this section.
(d) As used in this section:
(1) “Nonpublic school” means a nonpublic school approved by the state board of education for participation in food service programs defined in K.S.A. 72-17,132, and amendments thereto;
(2) “child-care institution” has the meaning ascribed thereto in K.S.A. 72-17,144, and amendments thereto;
(3) “municipality” means any political or taxing subdivision of the state and any agency, authority, institution or instrumentality of a municipality; and
(4) “state educational institution” has the meaning ascribed thereto by K.S.A. 76-711, and amendments thereto.