(a) As used in this section:
(1) “Consent decree agreement” means any consent decree agreement entered into pursuant to K.S.A. 74-8922, and amendments thereto, between the department and the oz entertainment company associated with the remediation of environmental contamination at the sunflower army ammunition plant located at De Soto, Kansas.
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 75-5671
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
(2) “Department” means the department of health and environment.
(3) “Qualified expenses” means costs of remediation which are determined to be qualified expenses pursuant to a consent decree agreement.
(4) “Secretary” means the secretary of health and environment.
(b) There is hereby established in the state treasury the sunflower army ammunition plant remediation trust fund, to be administered by the secretary.
(c) The department shall remit to the state treasurer any proceeds received by the department from the payment obligation surety bond furnished by the oz entertainment company to the department pursuant to a consent decree agreement. Upon receipt of such proceeds, the state treasurer shall deposit the entire amount in the state treasury and credit it to the sunflower army ammunition plant remediation trust fund.
(d) Moneys in the sunflower army ammunition plant remediation trust fund shall be expended only for payment of qualified expenses of remediation of environmental contamination at the sunflower army ammunition plant for which the oz entertainment company has accepted responsibility for payment. Moneys in the fund shall be expended for no other governmental purpose.
(e) On or before the 10th of each month, the director of accounts and reports shall transfer from the state general fund to the sunflower army ammunition plant remediation trust fund interest earnings based on:
(1) The average daily balance of moneys in the sunflower army ammunition plant remediation trust fund for the preceding month; and
(2) the net earnings rate for the pooled money investment portfolio for the preceding month.
(f) All expenditures from the sunflower army ammunition plant remediation trust fund shall be made in accordance with appropriation acts upon warrants of the director of accounts and reports issued pursuant to vouchers approved by the secretary for the purposes set forth in this section.