Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 19 > Article 27a
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- board: means the board of county commissioners of the county in which the sewer district is located;
(b) "sewer district" means any wastewater, main, lateral, joint or submain storm or sanitary sewer district;
(c) "improvement" means any trunk lines, outfall or intercepting sewers, manholes, pumps, pumping stations, lift stations, disposal plants and any appurtenances and apparatus necessary for the collection, storage, treatment and disposal of storm or sanitary sewage and wastewater;
(d) "improve" means constructing, reconstructing, enlarging or extending any improvement;
(e) "sewage system" means any property owned by the sewer district or any property in which the sewer district has a property interest and any trunk lines, outfall or intercepting sewers, manholes, pumps, pumping stations, lift stations, disposal plants and any appurtenances and apparatus necessary for the collection, storage, treatment and disposal of storm or sanitary sewage and wastewater. See Kansas Statutes 19-27a01
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- industrial user: means any user of the sewage system identified as an "industrial user" under the criteria established by the United States environmental protection agency in 40 C. See Kansas Statutes 19-27a01
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, organization or other entity and departments of government of the state or of the United States and political subdivisions thereof;
(i) "user" means the owner of the land or the person in control of the premises that discharges or contributes any wastes, storm or wastewater to the sewage system. See Kansas Statutes 19-27a01
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, evidences of debt and things in action, and digital assets as defined in the revised uniform fiduciary access to digital assets act, K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- real property: include lands, tenements and hereditaments, and all rights to them and interest in them, equitable as well as legal. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- road: include public bridges and may be construed to be equivalent to "county way" "county road" "common road" "state road" and "territorial road. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.