Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 72 > Article 26
- Actuarial equivalent: shall mean a monthly life annuity, the amount of which shall be determined by an actuarial computation as provided in subsection (o) of K. See Kansas Statutes 72-26,115
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Board: shall mean the board of education of any city of the first class operating a retirement system under the provisions of K. See Kansas Statutes 72-26,115
- board of education: when used in this act, shall mean any board of education which, prior to the effective date of this act, has established and is operating a retirement system under any of the provisions of K. See Kansas Statutes 72-26,123
- compensation: means the same as provided in K. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- deductions: means the amounts withheld, as provided in this act, from warrants issued in payment for school services;
(o) "actuarial computation" means computation in accordance with some standard actuarial table. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Disability annuity: shall mean a school annuity granted to a school employee who suffers such physical or mental disability as to be unable to perform school service. See Kansas Statutes 72-2670
- Disabled person: includes incapacitated persons and incompetent persons as defined herein. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Oath: includes an affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in similar cases "swear" includes affirm. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, evidences of debt and things in action, and digital assets as defined in the revised uniform fiduciary access to digital assets act, K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Regularly employed: shall mean employed for the major part of the working days, as distinguished from being employed as a substitute or for part-time work or less than a major part of the time. See Kansas Statutes 72-2670
- Retirement system: means the state school retirement system;
(b) "board" means the board of trustees of the Kansas public employees retirement system;
(c) "school year" means either the twelve-month period beginning on September first, or the legal school term during such period. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- Salary: shall mean the amount actually paid to the school employee for personal services plus the amount, if any, paid by the board of education toward an annuity for the school employee. See Kansas Statutes 72-2670
- school annuitant: means any person who is entitled to receive a school annuity;
(g) "school annuity" means the monthly payments due to any school annuitant. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- School annuity: shall mean the annual payment due to any school annuitant. See Kansas Statutes 72-2670
- School employee: shall mean any person regularly employed, and paid out of public funds, to perform services for the school district, and shall include all teachers, principals, superintendents, supervisors, librarians, clerks, secretaries, school nurses, attendance officers, managers, engineers, building superintendents, maintenance and repairmen, custodians, and all other persons regularly employed by the board of education. See Kansas Statutes 72-2670
- school employees: means persons who have performed or who shall hereafter perform school services as classroom teachers, administrators, supervisors, librarians, nurses, clerks, janitors or in any other full-time capacity in the public schools, area vocational-technical schools or community junior colleges of the state of Kansas and who are citizens of the United States and school employees shall include: (1) Persons who have performed service as a county superintendent of public instruction or as an employee appointed by and under the supervision of a county superintendent; (2) persons who have performed service as a state superintendent of public instruction or as an employee appointed by and under supervision of a state superintendent; (3) persons who have performed services as an employee appointed by the former state board for vocational education, except that prior to the time of accepting such employment by such county superintendent, state superintendent or state board for vocational education such employees had performed school service in Kansas as a teacher, principal, supervisor, or superintendent; (4) persons who are employees appointed by and under the supervision of the constitutional state board of education, including those employees transferred to the state department of education at its inception in January of 1969, and who prior to the time of accepting such employment by the state board of education had performed school service in Kansas as a teacher, principal, supervisor, or superintendent; (5) the commissioner of education if such commissioner exercises an irrevocable option to be covered by the state school retirement system in lieu of being covered by the Kansas public employees retirement system, which option shall be exercised by written notice of the commissioner of education at the time of appointment. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- school service: means : (1) Service performed as a school employee prior to September 1, 1941, if such years of service include at least six months during the years 1938-39 or 1939-40 or 1940-41; service performed by any employee who was not in school service in any of the school years from 1938 to 1941, but who reentered school service after September 1, 1941, and continued in such service for at least five years; all service prior to September 1, 1941, of any annuitant who retired prior to September 1, 1961, and who was granted a service annuity for one or more years as a contributing member of the school retirement system; all service prior to September 1, 1941, of any employee who served for at least six months during one of the qualifying years from 1938 to 1941 in a school system maintaining its own separate retirement system in Kansas, if such employee has not qualified, nor will in the future qualify, for retirement benefits under the separate retirement system; all service as a school employee, including out-of-state service as a school employee, for a period of 10 or more years prior to September 1, 1938, except that service annuities paid by the state of Kansas to such school employees shall not include such out-of-state service as a school employee, unless otherwise provided by law; (2) service as a school employee after September 1, 1941, as a contributing member of the school retirement system. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- service annuity: means that part of the school annuity which is based upon the service record of the person concerned, and which is paid by the state;
(i) "savings annuity" means that part of the school annuity which results from the accumulated contributions of the school employee and interest thereon less the proportionate share of the expense of the administration of this act;
(j) "disability annuity" means a school annuity granted to a school employee who suffers such physical or mental disability as to be unable to perform school service;
(k) "standard annuity" means the school annuity which is granted to a school employee at the age of 65 years, as prescribed by this act. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- service record: means the individual record kept by the board for each school employee. See Kansas Statutes 72-2624
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.