Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 199 – Protective Services for Children – Adoption
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 199 - Protective Services for Children - Adoption
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Adoption worker: means an employee of the cabinet so designated by the secretary for health and family services, a social worker employed by a county or city who has been approved by the cabinet to handle, under its supervision, adoption placement services to children, or a social worker employed by or under contract to a child-placing adoption agency. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Adult adopted person: means any adopted person who is twenty-one (21)
years of age or older. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- any other state: includes any state, territory, outlying possession, the District of Columbia, and any foreign government or country. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney: means attorney-at-law. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Biennium: means the two (2) year period commencing on July 1 in each even- numbered year and ending on June 30 in the ensuing even-numbered year. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Cabinet: means the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Child: means any person who has not reached his eighteenth birthday. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Child-caring facility: means any institution or group home, including institutions and group homes that are publicly operated, providing residential care on a twenty-four (24) hour basis to children, not related by blood, adoption, or marriage to the person maintaining the facility, other than an institution or group home certified by an appropriate agency as operated primarily for educational or medical purposes, or a residential program operated or contracted by the Department of Juvenile Justice that maintains accreditation, or obtains accreditation within two (2) years of opening from a nationally recognized accrediting organization. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Child-placing agency: means any agency licensed by the cabinet, which supervises the placement of children in foster family homes or child-caring facilities, or which places children for adoption. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- City: includes town. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Company: may extend and be applied to any corporation, company, person, partnership, joint stock company, or association. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department for Community Based Services. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Directors: when applied to corporations, includes managers or trustees. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Federal: refers to the United States. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Fictive kin: means an individual who is not related by birth, adoption, or marriage to a child, but who has an emotionally significant relationship with the child, or an emotionally significant relationship with a biological parent, siblings, or half-siblings of the child in the case of a child from birth to twelve (12) months of age, prior to placement. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreign: when applied to a corporation, partnership, limited partnership, business trust, statutory trust, or limited liability company, includes all those incorporated or formed by authority of any other state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Foster family home: means a private home in which children are placed for foster family care under supervision of the cabinet or of a licensed child-placing agency. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Group home: means a homelike facility, excluding Department of Juvenile Justice-operated or -contracted facilities, for not more than eight (8) foster children, not adjacent to or part of an institutional campus, operated by a sponsoring agency for children who may participate in community activities and use community resources. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Institution: means a child-caring facility providing care or maintenance for nine
(9) or more children. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Partnership: includes both general and limited partnerships. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Placement services: means those social services customarily provided by a licensed child-placing or a public agency, which are necessary for the arrangement and placement of children in foster family homes, child-placing
facilities, or adoptive homes. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- public funds: means sums actually received in cash or negotiable instruments from all sources unless otherwise described by any state agency, state- owned corporation, university, department, cabinet, fiduciary for the benefit of any form of state organization, authority, board, bureau, interstate compact, commission, committee, conference, council, office, or any other form of organization whether or not the money has ever been paid into the Treasury and whether or not the money is still in the Treasury if the money is controlled by any form of state organization, except for those funds the management of which is to be reported to the Legislative Research Commission pursuant to KRS §. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Rap back system: means a system that enables an authorized entity to receive ongoing status notifications of any criminal history from the Department of Kentucky State Police or the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported on an individual whose fingerprints are registered in the system, upon approval and implementation of the system. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Registered mail: means any governmental, commercial, or electronic method of delivery that allows a document or package to have:
(a) Its chain of custody recorded in a register to enable its location to be tracked. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Secretary: means the secretary for health and family services. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Sworn: includes "affirmed" in all cases in which an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Treatment: when used in a criminal justice context, means targeted interventions that focus on criminal risk factors in order to reduce the likelihood of criminal behavior. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Voluntary and informed consent: means that at the time of the execution of the consent, the consenting person was fully informed of the legal effect of the consent, that the consenting person was not given or promised anything of value except those expenses allowable under KRS §. See Kentucky Statutes 199.011
- Year: means calendar year. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010