§423. Agent’s contract; schedule of fees; maximum fee; notification; penalty
A. Any agent contract to be used by a registered athlete agent with an athlete shall be filed with the division.
B.(1) The following provision shall be printed on a separate document, which shall be attached to the agent contract and signed by the athlete and shall be considered an addendum to the contract, in at least ten-point type that is bold-faced, capitalized, underlined, or otherwise made to be conspicuous:
(a) This athlete agent is registered with the public protection division of the Department of Justice. Registration does not imply approval or endorsement by the division of the specific terms and conditions of this contract or the competence of the athlete agent.
(b) When you sign this contract, you will likely immediately lose your eligibility to compete in intercollegiate athletics. Your agent (who is an athlete agent) must give written notice that you have entered into this contract to the athletic director and the head coach of your institution or school within seventy-two hours after entering into this contract or prior to participating in intercollegiate athletics, whichever comes first. Failure by the athlete agent to provide this notice is a criminal offense.
(c) Do not sign this contract until you have read it or if it contains blank spaces.
(d) If you decide that you do not wish to purchase the services of the athlete agent, you may rescind this contract by notifying the athlete agent in writing of your desire to rescind the contract not later than the sixteenth day after the date on which this contract is filed with the division. However, even if you rescind this contract, the federation or association of which your institution of higher education or school is a member may not restore your eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics.
(2) Subparagraph (1)(e) of this Subsection shall be included with all letters capitalized and in a bold-faced type in a font the same size or larger than surrounding text.
C. A written contract between an athlete and an athlete agent must state the fees and percentages to be paid by the athlete to the agent.
D. A registered athlete agent shall file with the division a schedule of fees that the agent may charge to and collect from an athlete and shall file a description of the various professional services to be rendered in return for each fee. The athlete agent may impose charges only in accordance with the fee schedule. Changes in the fee schedule may be made from time to time, but a change shall not become effective until the seventh day after the date the change is filed with the division.
E. If a multiyear professional sport services contract is negotiated by a registered athlete agent for an athlete, the athlete agent shall not collect in any twelve-month period for the services of the agent in negotiating the contract, a fee that exceeds the amount the athlete will receive under the contract in that twelve-month period.
F.(1) A registered athlete agent shall file with the division a copy of an agent contract made with an athlete who has never before signed a contract of employment with a professional sports team.
(2)(a) If the athlete is a full-time student at an institution of higher education located in this state, the athlete agent and the athlete shall provide written notice of the contract to and shall file the contract with the athletic director or the president of the institution. The athlete agent and the athlete must give notice before the contracting athlete practices or participates in any intercollegiate athletic event or within seventy-two hours after entering into said contract, whichever comes first.
(b) Failure of the athlete agent to provide this notification, which is declared a misdemeanor, shall be punishable by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars, or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.
(3) An agent contract is not effective until the sixteenth day after the date of execution of the agent contract. The athlete has the right to rescind the agent contract any time prior to the sixteenth day after the date of execution. In the event of recision by the athlete pursuant to this Section, the agent contract shall be void for all purposes as if never executed.
G.(1) A postdated agent contract is void and unenforceable.
(2) An athlete agent shall not enter into an agent contract that purports to or takes effect at a future time after the athlete no longer has remaining eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Such contract is void and unenforceable.
(3) An agent contract between an athlete and a person not registered under this Chapter is void and unenforceable.
(4) Any contract executed by a student athlete with an athlete agent who has failed to comply with the notification and disclosure requirements of R.S. 4:423(B) and 424(C) and (D) is void and unenforceable.
H. In the event the athlete agent fails to make notification of the contract to the athletic director and to the head coach of the institution or school, as indicated by Subparagraph (B)(1)(b) of this Section, the recision period shall not begin until such notice is made.
I. In the event the athlete agent provides the athlete consideration or anything of value prior to the execution of the agent contract, the agent contract is void and unenforceable.
Acts 1987, No. 925, §1; Acts 1990, No. 882, §1; Acts 1999, No. 302, §1; Acts 2001, No. 1094, §1; Acts 2004, No. 351, §1.