Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 25:353
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
A. The Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame is established as a museum, hereinafter referred to as “hall of fame”, under the jurisdiction of the office of the state museum of the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism and domiciled in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
B. The purposes of the hall of fame shall be as follows:
(1) Preserve and maintain the names and accomplishments of outstanding Louisiana athletes and sports personalities.
(2) Honor individuals inducted into the hall of fame whose achievements in sports have brought distinction to themselves and to the state of Louisiana.
(3) Establish and maintain a permanent archive for the collection and display of memorabilia related to the lives and careers of sports legends who are elected for induction to the hall of fame.
C.(1) A nonprofit organization may be established for supporting the programs and activities of the museum, referred to in this Section as “Friends of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame”, which are necessary to maintain the rich heritage of athletics and capture the achievements of the greatest champions in Louisiana history.
(2) Friends of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame may:
(a) Maintain the property of the hall of fame and all portraits, memorabilia, and collections contained in the museum.
(b) Provide for the nomination process for and election of inductees to the hall of fame.
(c) Retain and expend any self-generated revenues derived from the activities of the hall of fame as specified by cooperative agreement pursuant to R.S. 25:342(A)(8), including the annual induction ceremony to the hall of fame.
D. The office of the state museum shall provide sufficient funds for the operation of the museum facilities as set forth in this Section; however, the office of the state museum shall have no obligation nor make any provision for such operation until state funds are specifically appropriated for this purpose.
Acts 2003, No. 1205, §1, eff. July 3, 2003.
NOTE: See Acts 2003, No. 1205, §4, relative to initial members of the Friends of the La. Sports Hall of Fame.