Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 28:451.1
- Department: means the Louisiana Department of Health. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 28:451.2
- Developmental disabilities services: means programs, services, and supports for persons with developmental disabilities that include but are not limited to information and referral services, support coordination services, system entry services, development of the support profiles and plans, individual and family support services, living options, habilitation services, and vocational services. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 28:451.2
- Services: means developmental disability services. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 28:451.2
- System: means the developmental disabilities services system. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 28:451.2
A. This Chapter shall be cited as the “Developmental Disability Law”.
B. It is the purpose of this Chapter to provide for a developmental disabilities services system that values all persons with developmental disabilities and affirms and protects their fundamental rights and privileges as citizens of Louisiana and the United States of America. This system shall be based on the premise established in the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act, that disability is a natural part of the human experience that does not diminish the right of persons with developmental disabilities to exert control and choice over their own lives, and fully participate in and contribute to their communities through full integration and inclusion in the economic, political, social, cultural and educational mainstream of society.
C. It is the intent of this Chapter to delineate the principles of the system, the rights of persons with developmental disabilities, the definitions used in this Chapter, the system process, the roles and responsibilities within the system, and other issues that will guide the provision of supports and services for persons with developmental disabilities.
D. It is the intent of this Chapter to establish that the office for citizens with developmental disabilities within the Louisiana Department of Health will be responsible for the programmatic leadership in the designing and developing of all developmental disabilities services provided by the department either directly or pursuant to agreements with public and private providers. It is also the intent of this Chapter to enable the office to provide developmental disabilities services and supports consistent with the rights and principles within this Chapter, to the extent possible.
E. It is the intent of this Chapter to establish a system that affirms and supports the principles of self-determination and full inclusion of all persons with developmental disabilities to live, work, and participate in leisure activities in their community as they choose and to the extent possible.
F. This law shall be made available in alternative formats upon request from the following:
(1) Office for citizens with developmental disabilities.
(2) Human services authorities and districts.
(3) Governor’s Office of Disability Affairs.
(4) Developmental Disabilities Council.
(5) The Advocacy Center.
(6) Human Development Center.
G. The provisions of this Chapter shall not be construed to delete, change, affect, or decrease the requirements of La. Rev. Stat. 17:1941 through 1959 regarding Special School District No. 1 or the Louisiana Department of Education, or both.
Acts 2005, No. 128, §1, eff. June 22, 2005.