Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 33:2393
- person: includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 33:2021
The following words and phrases when used in this Part shall have the following meaning, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
1. “Allocation” means the official determination of the class to which a position in the classified service belongs.
2. “Appointing authority” means any officer, board, agency, commission, or person having the power to make appointments to positions in the city service.
3. “Appointment” means the designation of a person, by due authority, to become an employee in a position, and his induction into employment in the position.
4. “Class” or “class of positions” means a definitely recognized kind of employment in the classified service, designed to embrace positions that are so nearly alike in the essential character of their duties, responsibilities, and consequent qualification requirements, that they can fairly and equitably be treated alike under like conditions for all personnel purposes.
5. “Classification plan” means all the classes of positions established for the classified service.
6. “Classified service” means all offices and positions of trust or employment in the city service, except those placed in the unclassified service by this Part.
7. “Commission” means the city civil service commission.
8. “Competitive position” means any position in the classified service that is subject to the requirements of this Part relating to appointment on the basis of competitive tests of fitness, and applies to every position in the classified service that is not expressly excepted or included among the positions in the unclassified service.
9. “Demotion” means a change of an employee in the classified service from a position of one class to a position of another class for which a lower maximum rate of pay is prescribed.
10. “Department” means the department of city civil service, including both the commission and the director.
11. “Director” means the city director of personnel.
12. “Division” or “division of the service” or “agency” means a city department or any division or branch thereof, or any agency of the city government, or branch of the city service, or any corporation organized for public purposes, of which fifty per cent. or more of the stock thereof is owned or controlled by the city, all the positions in which are under the same appointing authority.
13. “Eligible” means a person whose name is on a list.
14. “Employee” means a person legally occupying a position.
15. “Employment list” means an original entrance employment list, a promotion employment list, or a reemployment list.
16. “Entrance test” means a test for positions in a particular class, admission to which is not limited to persons employed in the city service.
17. “List” means an employment list, an original entrance employment list, a promotion employment list, or a reemployment list.
18. “Organization unit” means any administrative agency or part thereof that is designated by rule or regulation as a unit for purposes of administration of this law.
19. “Original entrance employment list” means an employment list for a class resulting from tests of fitness open to all applicants who meet the prescribed requirements for admission to the tests, regardless of prior employment in the classified service.
20. “Pay” means salary, wages, fees, allowances, and all other forms of valuable consideration, or the amount of any one or more of them, earned by or paid to any employee by reason of service rendered in any position, but does not include allowances for expenses authorized and incurred as incidents to employment.
21. “Pay plan” means all the scales of rates of pay prescribed under the provisions of this Part for classes of positions in the classified service.
22. “Promotion” means a change of an employee in the classified service from a position of one class to a position of another class for which a higher maximum rate of pay is provided in the pay plan.
23. “Promotion employment list” or “promotion list” means an employment list for a class resulting from tests of fitness limited to applicants who are employees of lower classes in the classified service.
24. “Promotion test” means a test for positions in a particular class, admission to which is limited to employees in the classified service who have held a position in another class.
25. “Public hearing” means a hearing held after public notice of at least five days, at which any person may have a reasonable opportunity to be heard, in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the commission.
26. “Reemployment list” means an employment list for a class consisting of a list of names of persons who have previously occupied positions allocated to that class, and who have been found to be entitled to certification for reappointment to positions of the class.
27. “Regular employee” means an employee who has been appointed to a position in the classified service in accordance with this Part after completing his working test period.
28. “City service” or “civil service of the city” means all offices and positions of trust or employment of the city, any department, agency, board or commission thereof, or corporation organized for public purposes, of which fifty per cent. or more of the stock is owned or controlled by the city, including persons employed by city or joint federal and city agencies administering city and federal relief and other funds, other than the military and naval service, irrespective of whether the pay for the offices and positions of trust or employment be paid out of the city treasury, either in whole or in part, except those excepted by the provisions of this Part.
29. “Temporary appointment” means an appointment for a limited period of service without acquisition by the appointee of any continuing right to be retained as an employee beyond that period.