Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 47:2277
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Property: includes every form, character and kind of property, real, personal, and mixed, tangible and intangible, corporeal and incorporeal, and every share, right, title or interest therein or thereto, and every right, privilege, franchise, patent, copyright, trade-mark, certificate, or other evidence of ownership or interest; bonds, notes, judgments, credits, accounts, or other evidence of indebtedness, and every other thing of value, in possession, on hand, or under the control, at any time during the calendar year for which taxes are levied, within the State of Louisiana, of any person, firm, partnership, association of persons, or corporation, foreign or domestic whether the same be held, possessed, or controlled, as owner, agent, pledgee, mortgagee, or legal representative, or as president, cashier, treasurer, liquidator, assignee, master, superintendent, manager, sequestrator, receiver, trustee, stakeholder, depository, warehouseman, keeper, curator, executor, administrator, legatee, heir, beneficiary, parent, attorney, usufructuary, mandatary, fiduciary, or other capacity, whether the owner be known or unknown; except in the cases of fire, life, or other insurance companies, the notes, judgments, accounts, and credits of nonresident persons, firms, corporations, partnerships, associations, or companies doing business in the State of Louisiana, originating from the business done in this state, are hereby declared to be property with its situs within this state. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 47:1702
- Signed: includes using any symbol executed or adopted with present intention to adopt or accept a writing in tangible form. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 47:2122
- Tax sale: means the sale or adjudication of tax sale title to property pursuant to R. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 47:2122
- Tax sale party: means the tax notice party, the owner of property, including the owner of record at the time of a tax sale, as shown in the conveyance records of the appropriate parish, and any other person holding an interest, such as a mortgage, privilege, or other encumbrance on the property, including a tax sale purchaser, as shown in the mortgage and conveyance records of the appropriate parish. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 47:2122
The petitioner shall file in the monition proceeding an affidavit stating how the tax sale parties whose interests the petitioner intends to be terminated were identified, how the addresses of each tax sale party were obtained, how the notice was sent, the results of sending the written notice, and the dates of publication. The affidavit may also contain a statement of the interests to which the petitioner takes subject. The affidavit shall be sufficient if it is in the following form:
If filed in the mortgage records, this affidavit shall be indexed under each of the following names as mortgagors:
(1) [Name of petitioner]
(2) [Name of tax debtor]
BE IT KNOWN, on the _______ day of ___________________[MONTH], ____________[YEAR],
BEFORE ME, the undersigned notary public, duly qualified in and for the state and parish aforesaid, and in the presence of the undersigned competent witness; PERSONALLY CAME AND APPEARED:
[Name of affiant] major domiciliary of the Parish of_________________, State of Louisiana (“affiant”), who after being duly sworn, deposed and stated that on his personal knowledge:
1. Affiant personally examined [name of abstract] or [title certificate] or [public records] (the “abstract”) affecting the following described immovable property located in the Parish of __________________ , State of Louisiana (the “Property”):
2. A review of the abstract by the Affiant revealed the following persons or entities with an interest in the property, with such interest being listed beside the name:
3. Affiant reviewed the documents listed in the abstract, the telephone book published by [name of telephone book publisher] for the Parish of ____________________ dated for use until [date], or utilized all the resources under [list other examination resources, including Internet search engines, if any], and the search revealed the following last known addresses for the persons listed in Item 2 above:
4. Affiant reviewed the records of the Louisiana Secretary of State and the secretary of state of the states set forth by the names of the entities listed below, and the search revealed the following addresses for the entities listed in Item 2 above:
5. Affiant caused to be sent a written notice notifying the persons or entities listed in Item 2 above at the addresses listed in Items 3 and 4 above. A sample of the form of the written notice is attached and satisfied R.S. 47:2275(B).
6. The method and results of the notifications set forth in Item 5 above are listed by name and address as follows:
7. A Petition for monition was filed on [date of filing] under In Re: [name of petitioner] Applying for Monition, Docket No. [docket number], on the docket of the [name of court], State of Louisiana (the “monition proceeding”).
8. Pursuant to an order of the court in the monition proceeding, the monition was published in the [journal of general circulation for the political subdivision] on [date(s)] [and was posted on the property]. The form of publication is attached and satisfied.
9. Pursuant to R.S. 47:2280(C), the following interests are canceled, terminated, erased or released, as applicable, only insofar as they affect the property:
THUS DONE AND PASSED on the day, month and year set forth above, in the presence of the undersigned competent witness, who have signed their names with Affiant, and me, notary, after reading of the whole.
Printed Name: ________________
Printed Name: _________________
Acts 2008, No. 819, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2009.