Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:2800.23
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
A. Notwithstanding the provisions of Civil Code Articles 225, 2317, or 2318, a parent, tutor, or curator of a student with developmental disabilities shall not be liable for any damage, injury, or loss caused by that student when all of the following conditions exist at the time the injury or loss occurred:
(1) The school developed and implemented a behavioral intervention plan as part of an Individualized Education Program pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004.
(2) The parent, tutor, or curator of the student signed the Individualized Education Program.
(3) The parent, tutor, or curator relinquished physical care, custody, and control of the student to the school.
(4) The parent, tutor, or curator was not present or exercising any physical care, custody, or control over the student at the school or school-sanctioned event.
B. The limitation of liability provided by this Section shall not be applicable if the damage, injury, or loss was caused by the negligence of the parent, tutor or curator.
C. The provisions of this Section shall apply only to actions for the recovery of damages, injury, or loss sustained by an employee of the school which developed and implemented the behavioral intervention plan as provided by Paragraph (A)(1) of this Section and where the damages, injury, or loss sustained was caused by a violation of the behavioral intervention plan by an employee of the school.
Acts 2016, No. 226, §1.