Terms Used In Maine Revised Statutes Title 14 Sec. 7303

  • Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
  • Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
  • Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.

Before serving the writ, the officer shall take from the plaintiff, or someone in his behalf, a bond to the defendant, with sufficient sureties or with a surety company authorized to do business in this State as surety, in double the value of the goods to be replevied, conditioned as in the prescribed form of the writ, to be returned with the writ to the court from which the writ issued, for the use of the defendant, and new sureties or surety company may be required thereon as provided in section 7403.