Terms Used In Maine Revised Statutes Title 14 Sec. 7483

  • Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
  • Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
  • Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.

A small claim shall be brought in the division of the District Court where the transaction occurred, where the defendant resides, where the defendant has a place of business or, if the defendant is a corporation or partnership, where its registered agent resides. [1981, c. 667, §2 (NEW).]


1981, c. 667, §2 (NEW).