Terms Used In Maine Revised Statutes Title 15 Sec. 2115

  • appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
  • conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
  • defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.

In any criminal proceeding in the Superior Court, any defendant aggrieved by a judgment of conviction, ruling or order may appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court sitting as the Law Court. The Supreme Judicial Court shall provide by rule the time for taking the appeal and the manner and any conditions for the taking of the appeal. [1999, c. 731, Pt. ZZZ, §17 (AMD); 1999, c. 731, Pt. ZZZ, §42 (AFF).]


1965, c. 356, §63 (RPR). 1987, c. 166, §3 (AMD). 1999, c. 731, §ZZZ17 (AMD). 1999, c. 731, §ZZZ42 (AFF). 2007, c. 475, §5 (AMD).