(1) Except as provided in subsection (3) or (4) and section 819, an individual or other person shall not perform installations, alterations, or servicing of work classifications under section 807(2) that are regulated under the Stille-DeRossett-Hale single state construction code act unless the person, if the person is an individual, or an employee of the person has received a mechanical contractor’s license from the department that has not been revoked or suspended, the license is classified and limited under section 807, and the holder of the license has secured the appropriate permit from the enforcing agency charged with the responsibility of issuing permits.
(2) A person that performs installations, alterations, or servicing of work classifications under section 807(2) shall designate the holder of a mechanical contractor’s license described in subsection (1) as the contractor of record notify the department in writing of the designation.
(3) If work that is within 1 of the classifications described in section 807(2) is performed without compensation by a person that is licensed under this article for or on behalf of a charitable organization, the owner of the property on which the work is performed may obtain the permit required under subsection (1). However, this subsection applies only to the reconstruction, renovation, or remodeling of 1- to 4-family dwellings.
(4) A person that is registered as a system provider under the security alarm systems act, 2012 PA 580, MCL 338.2181 to 338.2187, or licensed as a security alarm system contractor under the private security business and security alarm act, 1968 PA 330, MCL 338.1051 to 338.1092, is not required to obtain a license from the department under this article or obtain a license or permit from a governmental subdivision or enforcing agency to perform work described in subsection (1) in connection with the installation, maintenance, replacement, or servicing of a thermostat for a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system or a hydronic heating and cooling system.
(5) If a contractor of record regularly employs a qualified maintenance crew to perform mechanical contracting work regulated under this article in a facility, this article does not require that the contractor of record perform work in that facility.