(1) Except for the reporting requirements of section 44508, this part does not apply to a vessel that is required to be inspected by federal law or regulations for the purposes of carrying passengers for hire and that carries a valid and current certificate of inspection issued pursuant to federal law.
(2) This part does not require a person to secure a state pilot’s license if that person has been issued a valid and current federal pilot’s license from the United States coast guard or other federal agency.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 324.44525
- Charter boat: means a vessel other than a nonmotorized raft that is rented or offered for rent to carry passengers for hire if the owner or the owner's agent retains possession, command, and control of the vessel. See Michigan Laws 324.44501
- Livery boat: means a vessel, other than a nonmotorized raft, that is rented or offered for rent by a boat livery or a boat owner or his or her agent if the boat livery or boat owner or his or her agent relinquishes or offers to relinquish complete physical control of the vessel to the renter while retaining legal title to the vessel. See Michigan Laws 324.44501
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- Training or instructional purposes: means the teaching of any individual in the handling and navigation of a vessel or the techniques of waterskiing. See Michigan Laws 324.44501
- United States: shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- Vessel: means every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water irrespective of the method of operation or propulsion. See Michigan Laws 324.44501
(3) This part does not apply to a vessel 20 feet or less in length that is used primarily for training or instructional purposes and is not used at any time as a charter boat or a livery boat.