Terms Used In Michigan Laws 339.5805
- Board: means the board of mechanical rules described in section 805. See Michigan Laws 339.5801
- General public: means each individual who resides in this state and is 18 years of age or older, other than an individual or the spouse of an individual who is licensed or registered in the occupation or who has a material financial interest in the occupation that is regulated by the specific article in which the term is used. See Michigan Laws 339.5105
- Michigan mechanical code: means part 9A of the state construction code, R 408. See Michigan Laws 339.5107
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Servicing: means the maintenance, repair, and servicing of previously installed equipment and systems. See Michigan Laws 339.5803
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- State construction code: means the rules promulgated by the state construction code commission under section 4 of the Stille-DeRossett-Hale single state construction code act, MCL 125. See Michigan Laws 339.5107
(1) The board of mechanical rules created in section 3 of former 1984 PA 192 shall continue in existence and is designated as the board for purposes of this article.
(2) The board shall consist of the state fire marshal or the state fire marshal’s designee, who is a permanent member, and 14 residents of the state, appointed by the governor. All of the following apply to the appointed members of the board:
(a) An appointed member shall be at least 18 years old.
(b) Except for the representative of the general public, an appointed member shall be qualified in his or her respective field.
(c) The appointed members of the board shall include all of the following:
(i) An individual representing the general public.
(ii) A member of organized labor who represents the mechanical trades.
(iii) A professional mechanical engineer who is licensed under article 20 of the occupational code, 1980 PA 299, MCL 339.2001 to 339.2014, as a professional engineer.
(iv) A representative of an energy-producing public utility of the state.
(v) A representative from each of the work classifications described in section 807(2).
(vi) Two chief mechanical inspectors of governmental subdivisions, 1 of whom enforces the building officials and code administrators building code, and 1 of whom enforces the international conference of building officials building code.
(3) At the first meeting of each year, the board shall elect from its membership a vice-chairperson and secretary. The vice-chairperson and secretary shall be elected from those members appointed to the board by the governor, except that the board members who are chief mechanical inspectors are not eligible for election as vice-chairperson of the board. The governor shall designate 1 member of the board to serve as chairperson at the pleasure of the governor.
(4) Eight members of the board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. An approval, decision, or ruling of the board does not become effective unless approved by 2/3 of the board members attending a meeting.
(5) The board may recommend to the state construction code commission the promulgation of rules the board considers necessary for the safe design, construction, installation, alteration, servicing, and inspection of systems used in compliance with the Michigan mechanical code, and may recommend modifications, additions, or deletions to this act to update and maintain this act as an effective and enforceable instrument. The board may also recommend to the state construction code commission, after testing and evaluating a material, product, method of manufacture, or method of construction or installation for acceptability under the state construction code, that the commission issue a certificate of acceptability for that material, product, or method.