(1) Before a minor participates in recreational activity, a parent or guardian of the minor may release a person from liability for economic or noneconomic damages for personal injury sustained by the minor during the specific recreational activity for which the release is provided.
(2) This section only applies to a recreational activity sponsored or organized by a nongovernmental, nonprofit organization.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 700.5109
- Guardian: means a person who has qualified as a guardian of a minor or a legally incapacitated individual under a parental or spousal nomination or a court appointment and includes a limited guardian as described in sections 5205, 5206, and 5306. See Michigan Laws 700.1104
- in writing: shall be construed to include printing, engraving, and lithographing; except that if the written signature of a person is required by law, the signature shall be the proper handwriting of the person or, if the person is unable to write, the person's proper mark, which may be, unless otherwise expressly prohibited by law, a clear and classifiable fingerprint of the person made with ink or another substance. See Michigan Laws 324.51502
- Minor: means an individual who is less than 18 years of age. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
- Organization: means a corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, or joint venture; governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality; public corporation; or another legal or commercial entity. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
- Parent: includes , but is not limited to, an individual entitled to take, or who would be entitled to take, as a parent under this act by intestate succession from a child who dies without a will and whose relationship is in question. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
- Person: means an individual or an organization. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
(3) Either or both of the following may be released from liability under this section:
(a) The sponsor or organizer of the recreational activity.
(b) An individual who is paid or volunteers to coach or assists in conducting the recreational activity.
(4) A release under this section only releases the sponsor, organizer, owner, lessee, or other person released from liability for injury or death that results solely from the inherent risks of the recreational activity. A release under this section does not limit the liability of the sponsor, organizer, owner, lessee, or other person released for the sponsor’s, organizer’s, owner’s, lessee’s, or other person’s own negligence or the negligence of its employees or agents that causes or contributes to the injury or death.
(5) A release under this section must be in writing.
(6) This section does not restrict the limitation of liability afforded by section 73301 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.73301, or 1964 PA 170, MCL 691.1401 to 691.1419.
(7) As used in this section:
(a) “Camping activity” means a recreation activity planned and carried out by the owner and operator of a camp.
(b) “Recreational activity” means active participation in an athletic or recreational sport or in a camping activity.