(1) Sections 7d to 7i govern the director‘s decisions to release specified information from child protective services records.
(2) The director shall release specified information in a child abuse or neglect case in which a child who was a part of the case has died.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 722.627c
- Child: means a person under 18 years of age. See Michigan Laws 722.622
- Child abuse: means harm or threatened harm to a child's health or welfare that occurs through nonaccidental physical or mental injury, sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, or maltreatment, by a parent, a legal guardian, or any other person responsible for the child's health or welfare or by a teacher, a teacher's aide, or a member of the clergy. See Michigan Laws 722.622
- Director: means the director of the department. See Michigan Laws 722.622
- Specified information: means information in a children's protective services case record related specifically to the department's actions in responding to a complaint of child abuse or child neglect. See Michigan Laws 722.622
(3) The director may designate another individual to act for the director under sections 7d to 7i, and a reference to the director under those sections applies to an individual designated by the director.
(4) For the purposes of sections 7d to 7i, a child’s best interest shall be determined based on all of the following:
(a) Protection of the child’s safety.
(b) Preservation of the child’s physical, mental, and emotional health.
(c) Consideration of the child’s likelihood of establishing a successful and timely permanent family and community relationship.
(5) Sections 7d to 7i do not subject a report or record that is confidential under this act to disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.