|§ 324.20302||Hazardous material spills; immunity of volunteers from civil suits; effect of gross negligence or willful misconduct|
Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 324 > Act 451 of 1994 > Article II > Chapter 7 > Part 203
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Crest: means the line at which the first lakeward facing slope of a critical dune ridge breaks to a slope of less than 1-foot vertical rise in a 5-1/2-foot horizontal plane for a distance of at least 20 feet, if the areal extent where this break occurs is greater than 1/10 acre in size. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- Critical dune area: means a geographic area designated in the "atlas of critical dune areas" dated February 1989 that was prepared by the department of natural resources. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the department of environmental quality. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Field name: means the label or identification of an element of a computer data base that contains a specific item of information, and includes but is not limited to a subject heading such as a column header, data dictionary, or record layout. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- FOIA coordinator: means either of the following:
(i) An individual who is a public body. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Foredune: means 1 or more low linear dune ridges that are parallel and adjacent to the shoreline of a Great Lake and are rarely greater than 20 feet in height. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Hazardous material: means a chemical or other material which is or may become injurious to the public health, safety, or welfare, or to the environment. See Michigan Laws 324.20301
- in writing: shall be construed to include printing, engraving, and lithographing; except that if the written signature of a person is required by law, the signature shall be the proper handwriting of the person or, if the person is unable to write, the person's proper mark, which may be, unless otherwise expressly prohibited by law, a clear and classifiable fingerprint of the person made with ink or another substance. See Michigan Laws 8.3q
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Local unit of government: means a municipality or county. See Michigan Laws 324.301
- Model zoning plan: means the model zoning plan provided for in sections 35304 to 35309 and 35311a to 35324. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- month: means a calendar month; the word "year" a calendar year; and the word "year" alone shall be equivalent to the words "year of our Lord". See Michigan Laws 8.3j
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Permit: means a permit for a use within a critical dune area under this part. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- Person: means an individual, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, firm, organization, association, governmental entity, or other legal entity. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Public body: means any of the following:
(i) A state officer, employee, agency, department, division, bureau, board, commission, council, authority, or other body in the executive branch of the state government, but does not include the governor or lieutenant governor, the executive office of the governor or lieutenant governor, or employees thereof. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Public record: means a writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by a public body in the performance of an official function, from the time it is created. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Shall: is a lways mandatory and "may" is always discretionary. See Michigan Laws 206.2
- Software: means a set of statements or instructions that when incorporated in a machine usable medium is capable of causing a machine or device having information processing capabilities to indicate, perform, or achieve a particular function, task, or result. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Spill: means any leaking, pumping, pouring, emptying, emitting, discharging, escaping, leaching, or disposing of a hazardous material in a quantity which is or may become injurious to the public health, safety, welfare, or to the environment. See Michigan Laws 324.20301
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- Use: means a developmental, silvicultural, or recreational activity done or caused to be done by a person that significantly alters the physical characteristic of a critical dune area or a contour change done or caused to be done by a person. See Michigan Laws 324.35301
- Volunteer: means an individual who is designated as a volunteer by the public entity designated by the governor and is acting solely on behalf of that entity without remuneration beyond reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses in connection with the assistance. See Michigan Laws 324.20301
- Waters of the state: means all groundwaters, lakes, rivers, streams, and other watercourses including the Great Lakes and their connecting waterways within the jurisdiction of the state. See Michigan Laws 324.20301
- Writing: means handwriting, typewriting, printing, photostating, photographing, photocopying, and every other means of recording, and includes letters, words, pictures, sounds, or symbols, or combinations thereof, and papers, maps, magnetic or paper tapes, photographic films or prints, microfilm, microfiche, magnetic or punched cards, discs, drums, or other means of recording or retaining meaningful content. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Written request: means a writing that asks for information, and includes a writing transmitted by facsimile, electronic mail, or other electronic means. See Michigan Laws 15.232
- Zoning ordinance: means an ordinance of a local unit of government that regulates the development of critical dune areas within the local unit of government pursuant to the requirements of this part. See Michigan Laws 324.35301