Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 339 > Act 407 of 2016 > Article 1 - Short Title, Definitions, and Effects of Former Acts
- Accommodations: means the room or other space provided to transient guests for dwelling, lodging, or sleeping, including furnishings and other accessories, in a facility that is not a campground, hospital, nursing home, emergency shelter, or community mental health or community substance abuse treatment facility. See Michigan Laws 207.623
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Armed forces: means the United States Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Space Force, or Coast Guard or other military force designated by Congress as a part of the Armed Forces of the United States, including the reserve components. See Michigan Laws 339.5103
- Board: means , in each article of this act that is related to a specific occupation or occupations, the board that is created in that article and composed principally of members of the regulated occupation or occupations, or the commission or other agency that is defined in or designated as the board for purposes of that article. See Michigan Laws 339.5103
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Competence: means a degree of expertise that enables an individual to engage in an occupation at a level that meets or exceeds minimal standards of acceptable practice for the occupation. See Michigan Laws 339.5103
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Convention facility: means 1 or more facilities owned or leased by a local governmental unit or metropolitan authority created under the regional convention facility authority act, 2008 PA 554, MCL 141. See Michigan Laws 207.623
- Convention hotel: means a facility used in the business of providing accommodations that has more than 80 rooms for providing accommodations to transient guests and that complies with all of the following:
(i) Located within a county having a population according to the most recent decennial census of 700,000 or more. See Michigan Laws 207.623
Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name. Department: means the department of licensing and regulatory affairs. See Michigan Laws 339.5103 Director: means the director of the department of licensing and regulatory affairs or his or her authorized representative. See Michigan Laws 339.5103 Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met. Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006. Former act: means former 1956 PA 217; former 1984 PA 192; former 1986 PA 54; former 2002 PA 733; or former 1965 PA 290, as applicable. See Michigan Laws 339.5105 Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC License: includes the whole or part of a governmental permit, certificate, approval, registration, charter, or similar form of permission required under a specific article of this act. See Michigan Laws 339.5105 Licensee: means a person that is issued a license under this act. See Michigan Laws 339.5105 Local governmental unit: means a county, township, city, village, or a metropolitan authority formed under the regional convention facility authority act, 2008 PA 554, MCL 141. See Michigan Laws 207.623 month: means a calendar month; the word "year" a calendar year; and the word "year" alone shall be equivalent to the words "year of our Lord". See Michigan Laws 8.3j Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Occupation: means a field of endeavor regulated under this act. See Michigan Laws 339.5107 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: means an individual, sole proprietorship, partnership, association, limited liability company, corporation, or common law trust or a combination of those legal entities. See Michigan Laws 339.5107 Person: means a natural person, partnership, limited partnership, fiduciary, association, corporation, limited liability company, or other entity. See Michigan Laws 207.623 qualified city: means that term as defined in section 5 of the regional convention facility authority act, 2008 PA 554, MCL 141. See Michigan Laws 207.629 qualified local governmental unit: means , except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a city, village, township, county, or authority that is located in, or includes within its territory or jurisdiction, a county in which convention hotels are located and that either is the owner or lessee of a convention facility with 350,000 square feet or more of total exhibit space on July 30, 1985 or, if such a convention facility does not exist, will be the owner or lessee of a convention facility with 350,000 square feet or more of total exhibit space through the application of distributions under this section to the purchase or lease of a convention facility. See Michigan Laws 207.629 Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action. Rule: means a rule promulgated under the administrative procedures act of 1969. See Michigan Laws 339.5107 state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o State construction code: means the rules promulgated by the state construction code commission under section 4 of the Stille-DeRossett-Hale single state construction code act, MCL 125. See Michigan Laws 339.5107 Stille-DeRossett-Hale single state construction code act: means 1972 PA 230, MCL 125. See Michigan Laws 339.5107 Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust. United States: shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o