|§ 445.2511||Short title|
|§ 445.2513||Inapplicability of Article 2 to certain entities or uses|
|§ 445.2514||Inapplicability of Article 3 to certain entities or uses|
Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 445 > Act 229 of 2013 > Article 1
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Consumer: means an individual who resides in this state. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Consumer reporting agency: means any person that, for monetary fees or dues or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing credit reports to third parties and that uses any means or facility of interstate commerce for the purpose of preparing or furnishing credit reports. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Credit report: means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency that is related to a consumer's creditworthiness, credit standing, or credit capacity, and is issued or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for credit. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: A federal law, established in 1971 and revised in 1997, that gives consumers the right to see their credit records and correct any mistakes. Source: OCC
- File: means all of the information about a consumer that is recorded and retained by a consumer reporting agency regardless of how the information is stored. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Fund: means the motor vehicle accident claims fund. See Michigan Laws 257.1102
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: shall be construed to include printing, engraving, and lithographing; except that if the written signature of a person is required by law, the signature shall be the proper handwriting of the person or, if the person is unable to write, the person's proper mark, which may be, unless otherwise expressly prohibited by law, a clear and classifiable fingerprint of the person made with ink or another substance. See Michigan Laws 8.3q
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: includes natural persons, firms, copartnerships, associations, and corporations, except this state or an agency or political subdivision of this state. See Michigan Laws 257.1102
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Protected consumer: means either of the following:
(i) An individual who is under 16 years of age at the time a request for the placement of a security freeze is made. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Record: means a compilation of information that meets all of the following:
(i) Identifies a protected consumer. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Representative: means an individual who provides to a consumer reporting agency sufficient proof of authority to act on behalf of a protected consumer. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Secretary: means the secretary of state acting as director of the fund. See Michigan Laws 257.1102
- Security freeze: means a restriction placed on a consumer's credit report at the request of the consumer that prohibits a consumer reporting agency from releasing the consumer's credit report or any information derived from the consumer's credit report without the express authorization of or on behalf of the consumer. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Sufficient proof of authority: means documentation that shows that a representative has authority to act on behalf of a protected consumer, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
(i) An order issued by a court of law. See Michigan Laws 445.2512
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Treasurer: means the state treasurer acting as the custodian of the fund. See Michigan Laws 257.1102
- Uninsured motor vehicle: means a motor vehicle as to which there is not in force a liability policy that meets the requirements of section 3009 of the insurance code of 1956, 1956 PA 218, MCL 500. See Michigan Laws 257.1102