Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 460 > Act 270 of 2010
- Anaerobic digester: means a device for optimizing the anaerobic digestion of biomass for the purpose of recovering biofuel for energy production. See Michigan Laws 460.933
- Anaerobic digester energy system: means an anaerobic digester and the devices used to generate electricity or heat from biogas produced by the anaerobic digester or to store the biogas for the future generation of electricity or heat. See Michigan Laws 460.933
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Clerk: means the clerk or a deputy clerk of the court. See Michigan Laws 761.1
- Complaint: means a written accusation, under oath or upon affirmation, that a felony, misdemeanor, or ordinance violation has been committed and that the person named or described in the accusation is guilty of the offense. See Michigan Laws 761.1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- District: means a district created under a property assessed clean energy program by a local unit of government that lies within the local unit of government's jurisdictional boundaries. See Michigan Laws 460.933
- Energy efficiency improvement: means equipment, devices, or materials intended to decrease energy consumption, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(i) Insulation in walls, roofs, floors, foundations, or heating and cooling distribution systems. See Michigan Laws 460.933
Energy project: means the installation or modification of an energy efficiency improvement or the acquisition, installation, or improvement of a renewable energy system or anaerobic digester energy system. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Governing body: means the county board of commissioners of a county, the township board of a township, or the council or other similar elected legislative body of a city or village. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. Local unit of government: means a county, township, city, or village. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Misdemeanor: means a violation of a penal law of this state that is not a felony or a violation of an order, rule, or regulation of a state agency that is punishable by imprisonment or a fine that is not a civil fine. See Michigan Laws 761.1 Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan. Ordinance violation: means either of the following: Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation, unincorporated joint venture, or trust, organized, permitted, or existing under the laws of this state or any other state, including a federal corporation, or a combination thereof. See Michigan Laws 460.933 person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l program: means a program as described in section 5(2). See Michigan Laws 460.933 Property: means privately owned commercial or industrial real property located within the local unit of government. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government. Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. Record owner: means the person or persons possessed of the most recent fee title or land contract vendee's interest in property as shown by the records of the county register of deeds. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Renewable energy resource: means a resource that naturally replenishes over a human, not a geological, time frame and that is ultimately derived from solar power, water power, or wind power. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Renewable energy system: means a fixture, product, device, or interacting group of fixtures, products, or devices on the customer's side of the meter that use 1 or more renewable energy resources to generate electricity. See Michigan Laws 460.933 Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action. state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. United States: shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
(i) A violation of an ordinance or charter of a city, village, township, or county that is punishable by imprisonment or a fine that is not a civil fine. See Michigan Laws 761.1