181.100. 1. As used in sections 181.100 to 181.130 the following terms shall mean, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Agency”, each department, office, commission, board, or other administrative office or unit of state government;
(2) “Electronic repository”, a collection of electronic publications kept in a secure environment with adequate backup to protect the collection;
(3) “Format”, any media used in the publication of state information including electronic, print, audio, visual, and microform;
(4) “Participating libraries”, a library selected by the secretary of state to assist the public in locating and using state publications in any format; and designated to house and make available to the public publications which agencies have produced in print;
(5) “Publications”, the information published by agencies intended for distribution to the legislature, agencies, political subdivisions, nonprofit organizations or broad distribution to the public, including publications issued electronically or in other formats;
(6) “State publications access program”, a program to provide access to state publications for all citizens of Missouri through a secure repository of electronic publications available to the public through electronic networks and print collections located in libraries throughout Missouri.
2. Other provisions of law to the contrary notwithstanding, all state agencies required to issue and distribute multiple-produced annual, biannual, or periodic reports shall distribute such reports without charge only to those persons and offices listed in subsection 4 of this section. For the purposes of sections 181.100 to 181.130, the word “report” means a state publication which is either a printed statement by a state agency, issued at specific intervals, which describes its operations and progress, and possibly contains a statement of its future plans; or a formal, written account of an investigation given by a person or group delegated to make the investigation. Such reports shall not be distributed to any other person, including members of the general assembly, state officeholders, other state agencies, divisions or departments, or to members of the public, except upon request.
3. No report described in subsection 2 of this section shall be distributed free of charge to any person or office, except as provided in subsection 4 of this section. Each recipient of any such report shall pay the cost of printing and postage, which cost shall be determined by the issuing agency prior to distribution of the document.
4. Each agency of state government which distributes annual, biannual, or periodic reports printed in paper shall provide such copies of each such document free of charge to the state library as the state library shall specify, along with a statement of the cost and address where additional copies of such report may be requested. Two copies of all reports shall be provided to the legislative library, one copy to the chief clerk of the house of representatives, one copy to the secretary of the senate, one copy to the supreme court library and one copy to the governor.
(L. 1976 H.B. 1021 § 2, A.L. 1983 H.B. 96, et al., A.L. 2004H.B. 1347)