160.675. Retro reflective sheeting for school warning signs, grants issued by department to local governments, procedure — rulemaking authority. — 1. The director of the department of transportation shall have the authority to award grants to local governments for the purpose of obtaining retro reflective sheeting for school warning signs which shall:
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 160.675
(1) Be fluorescent yellow-green in color;
(2) Comply with Section 7B.07 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices of the United States Department of Transportation; and
(3) Qualify as Type IX retro reflective sheeting as defined by the American Society for the Testing of Materials (ASTM).
2. The grants awarded pursuant to this section shall be paid from the general revenue fund, subject to appropriation, and may not exceed a total amount of two hundred thousand dollars.
3. To qualify for a grant pursuant to this section, local government entities shall contribute local funds, labor or materials in an amount not less than twenty-five percent of the amount of such community’s grant award.
4. In awarding the grants, the director shall consider the community’s need for assistance based on safety concerns related to traffic control near a school. The director shall also consider awarding grants to public governmental bodies in different regions throughout the state.
5. The department shall promulgate such rules as are necessary to implement this section. No rule or portion of a rule promulgated pursuant to this section shall become effective unless it has been promulgated pursuant to chapter 536*.