169.073. Partial lump sum distribution, when — options — calculation for changes in distribution amount — death, effect of. — 1. Any member eligible for a retirement allowance pursuant to section 169.070 and who has not previously received a retirement allowance, including an allowance under disability retirement under section 169.070, and whose sum of age and creditable service equals eighty-six years or more or whose creditable service is thirty-three years or more or whose age is sixty-three years or more and who has eight years or more of creditable service may elect a distribution under the partial lump sum option plan provided in this section if the member notifies the retirement system on the application for retirement.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 169.073
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of the statutes, mean the section next preceding or next following that in which the reference is made, unless some other section is expressly designated in the reference. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- United States: includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
2. A member entitled to make an election pursuant to this section may elect to receive a lump sum distribution in addition to the member’s monthly retirement allowance pursuant to section 169.070, as reduced pursuant to this section. Such member may elect the amount of the member’s lump sum distribution from one, but not more than one, of the following options:
(1) A lump sum amount equal to twelve times the retirement allowance the member would receive if no election were made pursuant to this section and the member had chosen option 1 pursuant to section 169.070;
(2) A lump sum amount equal to twenty-four times the retirement allowance the member would receive if no election were made pursuant to this section and the member had chosen option 1 pursuant to section 169.070; or
(3) A lump sum amount equal to thirty-six times the retirement allowance the member would receive if no election were made pursuant to this section and the member had chosen option 1 pursuant to section 169.070.
3. When a member makes an election to receive a lump sum distribution pursuant to this section, the retirement allowance that the member would have received in the absence of the election shall be reduced on an actuarially equivalent basis to reflect the payment of the lump sum distribution and the reduced retirement allowance shall be the member’s retirement allowance thereafter for all purposes in relation to retirement allowance amounts pursuant to section 169.070. A retirement allowance increased due to the death of a person nominated by the member to receive benefits pursuant to the provisions of option 2, 3, or 4 of subsection 3 of section 169.070 shall be increased pursuant to such provisions to the amount the retired member would be receiving had the retired member elected option 1 as actuarially reduced due to the lump sum distribution made pursuant to this section. Any payment of accumulated contributions pursuant to the provisions of sections 169.010 to 169.141 shall be reduced by the amount of any lump sum distribution made pursuant to this section in addition to any other reductions required by sections 169.010 to 169.141.
4. If the member dies before receiving a lump sum distribution pursuant to this section, the lump sum distribution shall be paid in accordance with rules adopted by the board of trustees.
5. Benefits paid pursuant to this section, in addition to all other provisions of the public school retirement system of Missouri, shall not exceed the limitations of Section 415 of Title 26 of the United States Code except as provided in subsection 17 of section 169.070.