1. The board shall have such specific authority and responsibility as defined in sections 219.011 to 219.086 and the general authority to advise the director, the legislature and the general public on all matters pertaining to the purposes of sections 219.011 to 219.086 and the operation of the division. The board shall consist of fifteen members who shall be appointed by the director of the department.
2. The membership shall be comprised of public officials, professionals, and representatives of the general public who possess knowledge and experience in health, education, social, correctional, or legal services for children. The membership shall be representative of the various geographic regions and socioeconomic population of the state. Members of the board shall be residents of the state of Missouri. Not more than eight members of the board shall be from the same political party. The members of the board holding office on September 28, 1975, shall continue in office until the expiration of the term to which they were appointed. The director of the department shall appoint those members to be appointed after September 28, 1975, for staggered terms so not more than one-third of the terms of the board members shall expire in any one calendar year. The terms of the members first appointed after September 28, 1975, shall commence on July 1, 1976. As the terms of office of the members in office on September 28, 1975, and of the members appointed after September 28, 1975, expire, their successors shall be appointed for a term of four years.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 219.046
- Board: the state advisory board of youth services. See Missouri Laws 219.011
- Department: the department of social services. See Missouri Laws 219.011
- Director: the director of the division of youth services. See Missouri Laws 219.011
- Division: the division of youth services (DYS). See Missouri Laws 219.011
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- United States: includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
3. Before entering upon their duties, members of the board shall subscribe to an oath or* affirmation to support the Constitution of the United States and of the state of Missouri and to faithfully perform the duties of their office.
4. The board shall meet with the director a minimum of four times each year for the purpose of reviewing the activities of the division. The board or a committee thereof shall visit each facility of the division as frequently as it deems necessary and shall file a written report with the governor, director, director of the department and the legislative library regarding conditions they observed relating to the care and treatment of children assigned to the facility and any other matters pertinent in their judgment.