(1) Any person who abandons and neglects or refuses to maintain or provide for his or her spouse or his or her child or dependent stepchild, whether such child is born in or out of wedlock, commits abandonment of spouse, child, or dependent stepchild.
(2) For the purposes of this section, child shall mean an individual under the age of sixteen years.
(3) When any person abandons and neglects to provide for his or her spouse or his or her child or dependent stepchild for three consecutive months or more, it shall be prima facie evidence of intent to violate the provisions of subsection (1) of this section.
(4) A designation of assets for or use of income by an individual in accordance with section 68-922 shall be considered just cause for failure to use such assets or income to provide medical support of such individual’s spouse.
(5) Abandonment of spouse, child, or dependent stepchild is a Class I misdemeanor.
Laws 1978, LB 748, § 11;
Laws 1988, LB 419, § 10;
Laws 1989, LB 362, § 1;
Laws 2006, LB 1248, § 51.
My ex and I split up when I was 5 months pregnant my son is now 8 months old he hasn’t bothered to contact me to see how baby is the man I’m currently with wants to adopt him DHHS made us… [Reply/Read more]