Nothing contained in sections 83-153 to 83-156 shall be construed in such a manner as to prohibit the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Correctional Services, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs from voluntarily remitting or delivering to any present or former inmate or patient of any state institution, subject to the jurisdiction of such department, or to his or her heirs, legatees, or other persons lawfully entitled to the same, any money or other personal property in the hands of the department to the credit of such inmate or patient, either during the confinement of such inmate or patient, or at any time thereafter.
- Laws 1953, c. 352, § 4, p. 1128;
- Laws 1973, LB 563, § 37;
- Laws 1996, LB 1044, § 919;
- Laws 2018, LB827, § 7.
Terms Used In Nebraska Statutes 83-156
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- State: when applied to different states of the United States shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories organized by Congress. See Nebraska Statutes 49-801