Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 33 > Orders for Protection Against Domestic Violence
- Administrator: means the State Library, Archives and Public Records Administrator. See Nevada Revised Statutes 378.005
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Authorized representative: means a person designated by the governing body to be responsible for the development, award and proper administration of all purchases and contracts for a local government or a department, division, agency, board or unit of a local government made pursuant to this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Authorized representative: means a person designated by a public body to be responsible for the development, solicitation, award or administration of contracts for public works pursuant to this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Bailee: means a person that by a warehouse receipt, bill of lading or other document of title acknowledges possession of goods and contracts to deliver them. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Board: means the State Historical Records Advisory Board. See Nevada Revised Statutes 378A.020
- Carrier: means a person that issues a bill of lading. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Charter school: means a public school that is formed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 388A of NRS. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Chief administrative officer: means the person directly responsible to the governing body for the administration of that particular entity. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- City: means an incorporated city. See Nevada Revised Statutes 377.020
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Consignee: means a person named in a bill of lading to which or to whose order the bill promises delivery. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Consignor: means a person named in a bill of lading as the person from whom the goods have been received for shipment. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Contract: means a written contract entered into between a contractor and a public body for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Contractor: means :
- Council: means the State Council on Libraries and Literacy. See Nevada Revised Statutes 380A.021
- Counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- County: includes Carson City. See Nevada Revised Statutes 377.020
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles. See Nevada Revised Statutes 371.020
- Department: means the Department of Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 378.005
- Design professional: means :
(a) A person who is licensed as a professional engineer pursuant to chapter 625 of NRS;
(b) A person who is licensed as a professional land surveyor pursuant to chapter 625 of NRS;
(c) A person who holds a certificate of registration to engage in the practice of architecture, interior design or residential design pursuant to chapter 623 of NRS;
(d) A person who holds a certificate of registration to engage in the practice of landscape architecture pursuant to chapter 623A of NRS; or
(e) A business entity that engages in the practice of professional engineering, land surveying, architecture or landscape architecture. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Design-build contract: means a contract between a public body and a design-build team in which the design-build team agrees to design and construct a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Design-build team: means an entity that consists of:
(a) At least one person who is licensed as a general engineering contractor or a general building contractor pursuant to chapter 624 of NRS; and
(b) For a public work that consists of:
- Director: means the Director of the Department. See Nevada Revised Statutes 378.005
- Division: means the State Public Works Division of the Department of Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Division: means the Division of State Library, Archives and Public Records of the Department. See Nevada Revised Statutes 378.005
- Eligible bidder: means a person who is:
(a) Found to be a responsible and responsive contractor by a local government or its authorized representative which requests bids for a public work in accordance with paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 338. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- General contractor: means a person who is licensed to conduct business in one, or both, of the following branches of the contracting business:
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Goods: means all things that are treated as movable for the purposes of a contract for storage or transportation. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Governing body: means the governing body of a county or city that proposes to create or creates a district pursuant to this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 318A.030
- Governing body: means the board, council, commission or other body in which the general legislative and fiscal powers of the local government are vested. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Governing body: means the board, council, commission or other body in which the general legislative and fiscal powers of a local government are vested. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Homeschooled child: means a child who receives instruction at home and who is exempt from compulsory attendance pursuant to NRS 392. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Interested party: includes , without limitation, a member of the public, an owner of property within a proposed district or a district and each county, city, town and special district with territory proposed to be located or located within the boundaries of a proposed district or district. See Nevada Revised Statutes 318A.030
- Issuer: means a bailee that issues a document of title or, in the case of an unaccepted delivery order, the person that orders the possessor of goods to deliver. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- local government: means :
(a) Every political subdivision or other entity which has the right to levy or receive money from ad valorem taxes or other taxes or from any mandatory assessments, including counties, cities, towns, school districts and other districts organized pursuant to chapters 244, 318, 318A, 379, 450, 474, 539, 541, 543 and 555 of NRS. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.015
- Local government: means every political subdivision or other entity which has the right to levy or receive money from ad valorem or other taxes or any mandatory assessments, and includes, without limitation, counties, cities, towns, boards, school districts and other districts organized pursuant to chapters 244A, 318, 318A, 379, 474, 538, 541, 543 and 555 of NRS, NRS 450. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Offense: means :
(a) Failing to:
(1) Pay the prevailing wage required pursuant to this chapter;
(2) Pay the contributions for unemployment compensation required pursuant to chapter 612 of NRS;
- On-line solicitation: means a process by which a responding offeror submits a response to a solicitation on a secure website on the Internet or its successor, if any, which is established and maintained for that purpose. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Open-space land: means land that is undeveloped natural landscape, including, but not limited to, ridges, stream corridors, natural shoreline, scenic areas, viewsheds, agricultural or other land devoted exclusively to open-space use and easements devoted to open-space use that are owned, controlled or leased by public or nonprofit agencies. See Nevada Revised Statutes 376A.010
- Open-space plan: means the plan adopted by the board of county commissioners of a county to provide for the acquisition, development and use of open-space land. See Nevada Revised Statutes 376A.010
- Open-space use: includes :
(a) The preservation of land to conserve and enhance natural or scenic resources;
(b) The protection of streams and stream environment zones, watersheds, viewsheds, natural vegetation and wildlife habitat areas;
(c) The maintenance of natural and artificially created features that control floods, other than dams;
(d) The preservation of natural resources and sites that are designated as historic by the Office of Historic Preservation of the State Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; and
(e) The development of recreational sites. See Nevada Revised Statutes 376A.010
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- population: means the number of people in a specified area as determined by the last preceding national decennial census conducted by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce pursuant to Section 2 of Article I of the Constitution of the United States and reported by the Secretary of Commerce to the Governor pursuant to 13 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.050
- Prime contractor: means a contractor who:
(a) Contracts to construct an entire project;
(b) Coordinates all work performed on the entire project;
(c) Uses his or her own workforce to perform all or a part of the public work; and
(d) Contracts for the services of any subcontractor or independent contractor or is responsible for payment to any contracted subcontractors or independent contractors. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- project: includes , without limitation, any structure, undertaking or system which a district is authorized to acquire, improve, equip, maintain or operate. See Nevada Revised Statutes 318A.030
- Proprietary information: means :
(a) Any trade secret or confidential business information that is contained in a response submitted to a governing body or its authorized representative on a particular contract; or
(b) Any other trade secret or confidential business information submitted to a governing body or its authorized representative by a responding offeror and designated as proprietary by the governing body or its authorized representative. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Public body: means the State, county, city, town, school district or any public agency of this State or its political subdivisions sponsoring or financing a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Public work: means any project for the new construction, repair or reconstruction of a project financed in whole or in part from public money for:
(a) Public buildings;
(b) Jails and prisons;
(c) Public roads;
(d) Public highways;
(e) Public streets and alleys;
(f) Public utilities;
(g) Publicly owned water mains and sewers;
(h) Public parks and playgrounds;
(i) Public convention facilities which are financed at least in part with public money; and
(j) All other publicly owned works and property. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
- Responding offeror: means a person who responds to a solicitation made by a governing body or its authorized representative. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Shipper: means a person that enters into a contract of transportation with a carrier. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Solicitation: means a written statement which sets forth the requirements and specifications of a contract to be awarded by:
(a) An invitation to bid;
(b) A request for proposals;
(c) A request for a statement of qualifications;
(d) A request for a quotation; or
(e) Any other accepted method of purchasing that complies with the provisions of this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 332.025
- Specialty contractor: means a person who is licensed to conduct business as described in subsection 4 of NRS 624. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subcontract: means a written contract entered into between:
(a) A contractor and a subcontractor or supplier; or
(b) A subcontractor and another subcontractor or supplier, for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subcontractor: means a person who:
(b) Contracts with a contractor, another subcontractor or a supplier to provide labor, materials or services for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Supplemental city-county relief tax: means the remainder of the tax after subtracting the basic city-county relief tax. See Nevada Revised Statutes 377.020
- Supplier: means a person who provides materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Vehicle: means any vehicle required to be registered pursuant to the provisions of chapter 482 or 706 of NRS, except mobile homes as defined in NRS 482. See Nevada Revised Statutes 371.020
- Wages: means :
(a) The basic hourly rate of pay; and
(b) The amount of pension, health and welfare, vacation and holiday pay, the cost of apprenticeship training or other bona fide fringe benefits which are a benefit to the worker. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Warehouse: means a person engaged in the business of storing goods for hire. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Worker: means a skilled mechanic, skilled worker, semiskilled mechanic, semiskilled worker or unskilled worker in the service of a contractor or subcontractor under any appointment or contract of hire or apprenticeship, express or implied, oral or written, whether lawfully or unlawfully employed. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010