Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 33 > Orders for Protection Against Harassment in Workplace
- Active duty: means full-time duty status in the active uniformed service of the United States, including members of the National Guard and Reserve on active duty orders pursuant to 10 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Bailee: means a person that by a warehouse receipt, bill of lading or other document of title acknowledges possession of goods and contracts to deliver them. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Carrier: means a person that issues a bill of lading. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Child of a military family: means a school-aged child enrolled in kindergarten or grades 1 through 12, inclusive, in the household of a person on active duty. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Compact commissioner: means the voting representative of each compacting state appointed pursuant to Article VIII of this Compact. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Consignee: means a person named in a bill of lading to which or to whose order the bill promises delivery. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: means :
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes Carson City. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.033
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Delivery order: means a record that contains an order to deliver goods directed to a warehouse, carrier or other person that in the ordinary course of business issues warehouse receipts or bills of lading. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles. See Nevada Revised Statutes 360A.010
- Department: means the Department of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Deployment: means the period 1 month before the departure of a person on active duty from his or her home station on military orders though 6 months after return to his or her home station. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Donee: The recipient of a gift.
- Educational records: means the official records, files and data directly relating to a student which are maintained by a school or local education agency, including, without limitation, records encompassing all the material kept in the student"s cumulative folder, such as general identifying data, records of attendance and of academic work completed, records of achievement, results of evaluative tests, health data, disciplinary status, test protocols and individualized education programs. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Executive Director: means the Executive Director of the Department of Taxation. See Nevada Revised Statutes 360.001
- Extracurricular activities: means a voluntary activity sponsored by a school or local education agency or an organization sanctioned by a local education agency, including, without limitation, preparation for and involvement in public performances, contests, athletic competitions, demonstrations, displays and club activities. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Goods: means all things that are treated as movable for the purposes of a contract for storage or transportation. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- incarcerated persons: means persons who are incarcerated in a facility or institution operated by the Department of Corrections. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388H.010
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Interstate Commission: means the Interstate Commission on Educational Opportunity for Military Children created by Article IX of this Compact. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Issuer: means a bailee that issues a document of title or, in the case of an unaccepted delivery order, the person that orders the possessor of goods to deliver. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Local education agency: means an administrative agency legally constituted by the state to provide control of and direction for public educational institutions for kindergarten and grades 1 through 12, inclusive. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Member state: means a state that has enacted this Compact. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Military installation: means a base, camp, post, station, yard, center or homeport facility for any ship or other activity under the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Defense, including any leased facility, which is located within any of the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas Islands or any other territory of the United States. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- mortgage: includes a deed of trust. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.037
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- physician: means a person who engages in the practice of medicine, including osteopathy and homeopathy. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.040
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- population: means the number of people in a specified area as determined by the last preceding national decennial census conducted by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce pursuant to Section 2 of Article I of the Constitution of the United States and reported by the Secretary of Commerce to the Governor pursuant to 13 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.050
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Public body: means the State, county, city, town, school district or any public agency of this State or its political subdivisions sponsoring or financing a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Public work: means any project for the new construction, repair or reconstruction of a project financed in whole or in part from public money for:
(a) Public buildings;
(b) Jails and prisons;
(c) Public roads;
(d) Public highways;
(e) Public streets and alleys;
(f) Public utilities;
(g) Publicly owned water mains and sewers;
(h) Public parks and playgrounds;
(i) Public convention facilities which are financed at least in part with public money; and
(j) All other publicly owned works and property. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Receiving state: means the state to which a child of a military family is sent, brought or caused to be sent or brought. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- retailer: has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 372. See Nevada Revised Statutes 360.005
- Rule: means a written statement by the Interstate Commission promulgated pursuant to Article XII of this Compact that is of general applicability and implements, interprets or prescribes a policy or provision of this Compact or an organizational, procedural or practice requirement of the Interstate Commission and has the force and effect of statutory law in a member state, including the amendment, repeal or suspension of an existing rule. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Sending state: means the state from which a child of a military family is sent, brought or caused to be sent or brought. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas Islands and any other territory of the United States. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- state: means a state, territory or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See Nevada Revised Statutes 397.005
- State Board: means the State Board of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Student: means the child of a military family for whom the local education agency receives public funding and who is formally enrolled in kindergarten or grades 1 through 12, inclusive. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Subcontract: means a written contract entered into between:
(a) A contractor and a subcontractor or supplier; or
(b) A subcontractor and another subcontractor or supplier, for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subcontractor: means a person who:
(b) Contracts with a contractor, another subcontractor or a supplier to provide labor, materials or services for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Supplier: means a person who provides materials, equipment or supplies for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Transition: means the formal and physical process of transferring from school to school or the period of time in which a student moves from one school in the sending state to another school in the receiving state. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Uniformed service: means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 388F.010
- Warehouse: means a person engaged in the business of storing goods for hire. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.7102
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.